Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-17-2010, 09:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Chriznat20
Talking Need help finding a Hood

I bought a 30 gallon setup (intended to be F/W) and forgot the darn hood/lid at the sellers house. I have the light, just not the hood itself.

Is it possible to JUST buy the Hood ala carte and NOT the light?

Old 01-17-2010, 09:38 PM   #2
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

i say leave the hood off anyways. i dont have a hood or glass lid on any of my tanks But if you must, glass lids are much better looking imo than hoods anyways

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:42 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
i say leave the hood off anyways. i dont have a hood or glass lid on any of my tanks But if you must, glass lids are much better looking imo than hoods anyways
Do you have any recommendations on where to buy one?

How would I cut into the back for the HOB filter, the heater cord or the air lines?
Old 01-17-2010, 09:43 PM   #4
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

well, glass lids dont cover the whole back, theyre usually about 2" shy of covering the whole tank, then have a hinge with the front 3-4" so that you can lift it up. Most lfs have them. I know Pet Supplies | Dog & Cat Supplies, Pet Meds | DrsFosterSmith.com Pet Products have them. Do you have fish that jump?

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
Old 01-17-2010, 09:49 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
well, glass lids dont cover the whole back, theyre usually about 2" shy of covering the whole tank, then have a hinge with the front 3-4" so that you can lift it up. Most lfs have them. I know Pet Supplies | Dog & Cat Supplies, Pet Meds | DrsFosterSmith.com Pet Products have them. Do you have fish that jump?
Not yet, dont know if I plan on getting any either....

Thinking of a bala shark or 2, a gourami, maybe some neon tetras. Ive downsized from a 55g, so Im not sure yet what my (new 30g) tank is capable of. Need to do a little more research on that one
Old 01-17-2010, 09:50 PM   #6
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

well research is always a good thing. go ahead and forget you ever heard about bala sharks. They get way too big for a 30g tank.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:53 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
well research is always a good thing. go ahead and forget you ever heard about bala sharks. They get way too big for a 30g tank.
I used to have 2 in my 55g tank and they did grow pretty fast!!

I guess we'll see..in the meantime, Im going to look into the glass lid idea.

Where can I find 'just' the lid for the light I have now? Theres got to be a place somewhere!
Old 01-17-2010, 09:59 PM   #8
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Aquarium Hoods & Canopies: All-Glass Versa-Tops

Old 01-17-2010, 10:07 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Thanks dude!!
Old 01-17-2010, 10:20 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Is there a place that sells the non-glass ones? Like the one I need to go with my light fixture?

For clarification, my light looks just like this one:

And I want the piece that goes underneath it, preferrably the plastic OEM one.

Tags
hood

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com