Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-23-2015, 09:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Need help finding ideal lighting for 30x12x12" tank

There is so much out there that its not as straightforward as i hoped. I dont know what brand are good or bad, and i dont want to buy junk thatll die on me right away. I just set up my 20 gallon long tank and just want lower light plants. Basically whatever i can do without getting into the higher maintenance of CO2 and whatnot. But one of my main concerns are fish colours, as i find the natural daylight lights by themselves wash out the fish colours vs powerglow or etc. Although they do make the plants and other decor look natural and pop in return. It seems i cant find a best of both worlds aside from my 75 gallon, which runs with both a powerglow 18000k and a 6500k t8 bulb and i like it. Alone the powerglow makes driftwood and plants look wrong and these will both be in this tank.

Since i dont want too much light to cause algea without other additives for a heavily planted tank, would you guys just get a glass top and another t8 fixture to run both bulbs? Are there any led hoods that are decent nowdays? Ive heard they werent great before.

Old 10-23-2015, 09:49 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would absolutely recommend led, I particularly like finnex products. Some are adjustable and allow for you to customize the spectrum. Some even feature a thunderstorm option that while potentially annoying to the fish, has always appealed to me. It just seems cool. Sorry I can't provide more detail, brookster or TT are good with lights.

Old 10-23-2015, 10:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRC Exotics View Post
I would absolutely recommend led, I particularly like finnex products. Some are adjustable and allow for you to customize the spectrum. Some even feature a thunderstorm option that while potentially annoying to the fish, has always appealed to me. It just seems cool. Sorry I can't provide more detail, brookster or TT are good with lights.
Thunderstorm option? That sounds like a random add on lol So do you have some of those LED lights? I think i seen what you are talking about, are those the ones where you can add on different squares or whatever for different lighting? How are the red/blue colouring on the fish with it?
Old 10-23-2015, 10:19 PM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I ordered these a few months ago Thanks to Mr X. They really work nice. Best buy I ever did. I needed 3 for my 125 gallon tank.

165W Dimmable Full Spectrum LED Aquarium Light for Coral Reef Marine Fish Lamp | eBay

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 10:36 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58 View Post
I ordered these a few months ago Thanks to Mr X. They really work nice. Best buy I ever did. I needed 3 for my 125 gallon tank.

165W Dimmable Full Spectrum LED Aquarium Light for Coral Reef Marine Fish Lamp | eBay
Thanks. Those seem like it would be overkill for my tank though. I have less than 12" of water to penetrate. Anyone disagree? Also, i cannot mount anything to the walls or roof as i am renting currently, so id have to find another way to hang it :/
Old 10-23-2015, 10:42 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Those are awesome^ per melosu. I'm getting one for my saltwater 20 gallon. Totally adjustable.
I think the finnex planted+ has some pretty good features. I run the 9" finnex planted+ fugeray on my nano planted, it isn't adjustable in spectrum but features a blue led "night mode" that's pretty cool.

I would absolutely go led over fluorescent tubes. Some of the CFLs can pack a punch if you don't mind designing a diy setup. I built a diy high intensity cfl setup for some plants years ago that worked well before LEDs were as big.
Old 10-23-2015, 11:49 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm not against DIY like the cfl. But I was under the impression that those routes would be too much light for what will actually get used an I have issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 10-24-2015, 12:04 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to sinibotia
Cheap, and for lower light plants?

For that I might try a finnex stringray LED? I like mine and it's cheap and simple.
sinibotia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 01:41 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinibotia View Post
Cheap, and for lower light plants?

For that I might try a finnex stringray LED? I like mine and it's cheap and simple.
How do you find the stringray does with fish colours?

I dont necessarily need the cheapest option, but i dont really feel like spending 400 bucks or anything lol Pretty much, im looking for good fish colours and decent plant growth, while not having too much light where id need to start thinking about CO2 or ferts. Just trying to put some plants in to help things stay healthy while keeping it simple.

Edit: i did some looking around on the finnex stingray and it seems like its around what im looking for. Unfortunately amazon.ca only has the 10" model listed and then the planted+. Does anyone know of a place in canada that is decent to buy from and caries the 30" model? Ive only ever gone through amazon
Old 10-24-2015, 02:01 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to sinibotia
Well, the light itself had red, blue and white LEDs. Go to my profile and there's a picture of a betta under that light.

sinibotia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fin, light, lighting, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com