Need Help Hooking Up Sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rtoycrow

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently purchased an oceanic 240 gallon tank with an overflow directly in the middle of the tank. The guy I purchased this tank from had everything hooked up to a sump and I am having trouble putting it all together. I drew out an image using my computer. The places I have question marks are the places I am confused about hooking up and to what. I would appreciate any help I could get. And if i have something drawn or hooked up wrong please correct me. Thanks
img_855933_0_1e2fab82cfd1422c412fa77e9f5c8885.jpg

Last edited:
From the drawing, it looks like the two outside pipes are for closed loops. Water comes out of the tank and then is pushed right back into the tank.

The center overflow has 3 pipes in it? From what you have drawn it looks like two drains and one return.

Can you post pics of the actual tank and sump???

yeah i will try to get pics of everything at lunch. thanks

I think Zig has it, the pics would help. Was there a frag tank or refugium hooked up to the sump overflow? There just seems to be a lot of pipes coming out of that sump. I don't suppose any of them have a float valve on them?

The left side of the sump may be for an exterior skimmer. The right side bulkhead is probably for the return pump. Photo's will help.

My drawing was a little off. There is only the overflow coming off the sump on the right side. I was drawing from my memory and I guess I added a couple extra things. I also couldn't get any pics inside the overflow because of the canopy sitting on top but I looked inside and there are 3 holes in the bottom and the guy i bought the tank from said that the return was in the middle. Also he had a chiller hooked up to this system if that helps.
img_855970_0_ce8b334965b5611624ac2cab4261bd2c.jpg

img_855970_1_a62459699ee1aa1a29d019bfba63df55.jpg

img_855970_2_de3b6a9a35f39479e356b5ceb627d159.jpg

img_855970_3_7b270d8e427c22995b51fda6cddecc73.jpg

The two holes/bulkheads on the left of the bottom pic are for return pumps. The large hose in the center of the sump is for the drain coming out of the tank. The bulkhead on the far right could be for the fuge. I'm not 100% sure about that. It could have been a feed pump in the sump below the main drain that pumped water over into the fuge area.

The holes in the tank on the right and left of the overflow are for a closed loop system. There should be 2 drains or intakes and 2 returns (4 holes) From the way it looks you could plumb 2 of the holes over to the intake of a pump and the other 2 holes to the return of a pump and have a nice closed loop on your tank.

As for the overflow there should be a drain (larger hole) and a return which is what the "T" shaped part with the loc-line on it plumbs to(the return coming from the sump)

Hope that helps some.

Yeah it helps a little. I am still confused about where the chiller and pumps hook up on the sump but other than that I can figure it out. Thanks for all the help!!

By looking at the stuff on the top of the 1st pic, I see an external return pump. So, on the left of the sump with the 2 lines near the bottom, the external return gets hooked to that and I would say the other is for the chiller. It looks like the line came out of the sump and into the chiller and I see a line about the same size near it that could be the return from the chiller back into the sump.

hehe...just enlarged that 1st pic. You have 2 external pumps. The bigger 1 is probably the return to the tank and the smaller one is either for the chiller or closed loop.

Last edited:
Is this how everthing is supposed to be hooked up? I am still not sure about the other drain coming out of the overflow? Does it come together with the other drain with pipes and then run to the top of the sump?
img_856811_0_4057ed718447176eb3635d8b75d1ac9d.jpg

The picture there looks like the tank doesn't have any top or bottom restraints. Meaning the whole thing is held together by the silicon seals. I'd take a VERY close look at those seals before putting the tank in your house.

Most people seem to have no problem with them. Personally I'm still finding bits of sand in corners of my living room after my 75 exploded on me.

It does have restraints on the top. You can't see them because of the canopy sitting on top. I hope the tank holds:-?. The guy I bought it from had it in his house for ten years with no problems.

I think the chiller return goes to the far right where you wrote overflow. You don't want the cooled water going into the same section that's drawing the warmer water to the chiller. The bigger hole on the top left of the sump where you have the chiller return is probably for the 2nd overflow from the tank.

Back
Top Bottom