NEED HELP (PUMPS)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hara

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a Little giant 4-MDQX on the 175 now. It started howling last week. Last Sunday, I took it off, oiled it and everything seemed just great. Now it is howling again and it doesnt sound like it will last the day. I need to get another one ordered and overnighted for Tuesday delivery.

What I need help with is finding one that is comparable in fittings but more powerful, as if I am spending the money on a new pump, it really should have a higher amount of water turnover. Does anyone have any suggestions as to a good strong reliable pump? The fittings are 1 inch in and 3/4 out.

new scenario...I have in my possession a dolphin ampmaster 2100. 1.5 inch fittimgs both in and out. The marinedepot site says taking it down to 1 inch, i can lose 40%, What would happen, if anything, to the pump if i went 1 inch in and 3/4 out?

Everything I have read says to never reduce the intake. It will cause excess motor wear & heat and severally shorten pump life. It says the same thing on dolphin site.
Here is dolphins phone number and email. Hours are 8:30 -4:30 EST
Phone: (850) 434-9880/(850) 433-1484
E-Mail Address: bestpump@bellsouth.net
Contact them and see what they say. That way there will be no regrets.
PS. I got a Dolphin 7500 and love it. Gives off a little more hot air than I expected but it is a big pump.
Now answer my question about QT tank cycle below
:D

the dolphin site that I read said it could be taken down to 1 inch with no problems, but to expect up to 40% reduced output. The problem I have is that the bulkhead fitting on the sump is 1 inch. and the return lines are 3/4...but it is 2 return lines so therefore wouldnt you consider it a total of 1 1/2 inch on the return side? I just don't know if it works that way or not.

I would at least send a email and see what they say. I can tell you that two 3/4 inch lines do not carry near as much water as a 1 1/2 inch line does (it does not work that way). A 1 1/2 pipe will roughly carry the water volume of 4- 3/4 inch pipes

juskeepswiming said:
why dont you drill the holes larger so you can put a larger bulkhead in?

The tank can't be offline long enough to get that done, nor can the sump be removed from its position.

Hara is your sump glass or acrylic? I drilled my sump this weekend in place. I added a 100gal refugium to it. It only took about 1 hr to do.

I do not have anyone around that can do that and I know that "I" certainly would not attempt it. It is an oceanic glass sump.

You could always try it and see. I know with the Sequence Reeflo pumps, they have 1.5" inlets/ 2" outlets I believe. I know people reduce them at some point.

As another alternative, Panworlds are great pumps and I believe that Sequence was supposed to release a line of pumps with 1" inlet/outlet.

HTH

wow, just realized that the Dolphin Pump headquarters is right down the street.

Wonder if they have any street speacials....

:twisted:

Back
Top Bottom