Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-06-2010, 10:41 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Need help reading ph Test results - Salifert

Hi all
I just ordered a bunch of salifert test kits and haven't had a problem reading any of them except the PH and was hoping someone can help me out, I took the best pic I could. According to the directions I am to look through the side and that the color may be in between, this is the part I can't figure out because it looks to be army green so does that put the color between 8.0 and 8.3 or between 8.3 and 8.6? Here it is.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:02 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm going to say 8.0 and 8.3. If you want to checkthe results, get an aquarium pharmaceuticuls high range ph test kit. They are maybe 5 bux.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:09 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueiz View Post
I'm going to say 8.0 and 8.3. If you want to checkthe results, get an aquarium pharmaceuticuls high range ph test kit. They are maybe 5 bux.
Thanks, that's what I figure. I have the API test kit as well and have similar issues with it.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:31 PM   #4
Algae Fighter

Send a message via MSN to JustOneMore20
Yeah I would say between 8.0 and 8.3 as well. Even though those tests are supposed to be more accurate, they aren't terribly easy to read. I don't have the Salifert pH, but I have some issues with the nitrate test sometimes. I definitely have issues with API too. Maybe I need my eyes checked or something.

JustOneMore20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:49 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustOneMore20 View Post
Yeah I would say between 8.0 and 8.3 as well. Even though those tests are supposed to be more accurate, they aren't terribly easy to read. I don't have the Salifert pH, but I have some issues with the nitrate test sometimes. I definitely have issues with API too. Maybe I need my eyes checked or something.
You and me both Kristen, the eyes started going down hill after 40. I like the salifert test kits because the other salifert test kits I have are accurate and very easy to read (except this one),oh well you cant win them all. I switched from API because they can be very difficult to read most of the time.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:54 PM   #6
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

try being red/green colorblind! Talk about a mess when i try to read anything except nitrite on my api tests. At least my wife has good eyesight

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:02 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
try being red/green colorblind! Talk about a mess when i try to read anything except nitrite on my api tests. At least my wife has good eyesight
And we thought we had it rough with these stinkin test kit color charts.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:43 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

If you REALLY want an accurate pH, you would need a pH meter.

However, you just want to know your pH is stable, so just remember what the color looks like (or keep a pic) & if the tank pH is always that color, you are set .... It doesn't matter what the real number is, right? < Although I vote between 8 & 8.3 as well.>
Old 01-06-2010, 11:54 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would say your cup has algae. LOL just kiddin.
I have trouble with the API test kits with the nitrates, if they are 20 or over. All looks the same.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:36 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsoong View Post
If you REALLY want an accurate pH, you would need a pH meter.

However, you just want to know your pH is stable, so just remember what the color looks like (or keep a pic) & if the tank pH is always that color, you are set .... It doesn't matter what the real number is, right? < Although I vote between 8 & 8.3 as well.>
Thanks Jsoong, My pH has been Stable, I'm going to look into a meter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkpate View Post
I would say your cup has algae. LOL just kiddin.
I have trouble with the API test kits with the nitrates, if they are 20 or over. All looks the same.
I was thinking 2 stroke oil myself. The API test kits Nitrate and PH are tough to decipher.

Tags
fert, test, test results

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com