Need help selecting filter system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

willy1094

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I'm new to the hobby. I used to have small 10 and 20 gallon tanks but I've been given a 120 gallon tank. The tank came with 16 large (5-7 inch) Jack Dempseys. It came with two hang on filters and one magnum (the magnum is the only one that i know the name of) canister filter. The magnum was leaking around the lid so I had to disconnect it. They guy that gave me the aquarium said he had another magnum that leaked also. Now the water is starting to smell which I've been told is a carbon issue and the water has a little brown tint to it now. I'm discouraged now on canaster filters but if there is a good one that WILL NOT LEAK then I'd be game. I do not mind mult hang on units if that's the better way to go. Thanks in advance for the help

Oh, I plan on selling the Jack Dempsey and either going with a community tank of fish from a store or all native fish. If that helps at all.

With a tank that large, cannister is definitely the way to go. You need the power to push that water around. Since I bought my Fluval FX5, I have nothing but good things to say about it. No leaks, easy disconnects with the hoses, great water flow. It's a bit pricey, but I found it on e-bay for $200, including shipping.

That's a lot of BIG fish! Sounds impressive. Do you have any pics?

I also have the FX5 on my 125 and am very happy with it.

Thanks for the replies. I'll post pics soon. They are nice looking fish. I just want something different. I think I'll look into the fx5. Thanks again. Oh, buy they way. I've bought 4 of these led bars with 198 leds in each tube. They put out pretty good light but I'm not sure if they are good for primary light. They are white leds. 11 watt draw each and put out about 75 watts worth of light.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom