Need help setting up my 29g for QT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AR15 guy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am thinking about setting up a 29 gallon I have lieing around for a water storage/QT tank.

I would like to set it up cheaply. I first planned on just keeping water in it so I would have a supply for water changes for the 10 and 38 gallon I have setup.

I have a aquaclear 300 filter and a tronic heater for it. I didn't plan to add any rock or anything to it. What kind of substrate would I need to effectively be able to house 1 or 2 small fish at a time while in QT? Would crushed coral suffice? That is all I have in my 38 gallon but I plan on adding rock to it before I add fish.

The 10 gallon has 20lbs of live sand and 2 lbs of rock.

Just wanted your opinions on what I should do for this tank. Thanks.

Also what is a good website to order lighting products from? I wanted to get some decent light setups to keep my liverock I will have looking good.

What kind of substrate would I need to effectively be able to house 1 or 2 small fish at a time while in QT?
Actually bare bottom is the way to got. You can get some PVC elbows for the fish to hide in. The reason for not wanting any substrate is because of you need to treat with any meds, the substrate would absorb some of the med and effect your dosage, plus its easier to siphon the tank without substrate.
As for the lights, check out some of the site sponsors.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/sponsorbanners.php
NO is actually good enough for LR . FWIW

I was talking to a guy at a local store and he was telling me my LR would turn into ugly baserock without good lighting.

On my 38 I have normal 38 gallon hood and a 29 gallon hood on it. The longer bulb is a reptile sunlight bulb...I may have to change that.

In the QT tank do I need anything for biological filtration?

I was talking to a guy at a local store and he was telling me my LR would turn into ugly baserock without good lighting
Naa, mine looks real nice with NO. You can upgrade if you want faster coraline growth, that up to you.

In the QT tank do I need anything for biological filtration?
Just place a small aquarium safe sponge in the filter of your main for a week or two. Then place the sponge in the filter of your qt tank. It will seed with the bacteria from your main and kick up a biological filter in your qt tank. Just make sure if there are not any animals in it that you "feed" the filter with a little fish food once or twice a week to keep the bacteria alive.
HTH

Thanks man.

Good information. I have a bunch of those sponges for the aqauclear filter that should work great.

This should be very easy to do. While no fish are in it I will just use water from it to do what changes on my other tanks. Works out fairly well.

Back
Top Bottom