Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-11-2011, 04:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok wife will buy FX5 today from LFS or I can get a few other non fish related things.

My question is. I have a 75 gallon over stocked. I have about 35-40 African cichlids 2 catfish (cuckoo), 1 upside down catfish and a red tailed shark.

I'm running 2 AC 110's and do WC sometimes 2x a week. Test water everyday and feed every other day.

Do I really NEED to have her spend the money? If its not a total " you need it or your doomed!" maybe I'll get something else.

Oh I also have 2 Rena 300 pumps running a wand and a 4" round stone at the end.

Do I pull the trigger? I'm for honest opinions I know the FX5 is killer but will I benefit at all from it? As far as water changes or anything else? I do 2x a week already so will it cut that back? I don't mind doing them.

I'm more asking because I know I'm over stocked but I believe that if I'm on top o the tank I'll be ok. I'm very committed to my fish an tank.

Thanks

Dino.

EDIT:

LFS closes at 6pm.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 04:41 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hi i think the old saying kicks in here - if it aint broke why fix it?
Yes the FX5 is helluva bit of kit,and would do a great job,but as you are getting perfect readings then that would suggest all is OK I do not know the filters you are using so cannot comment on them
Footnote :- if your readings are perfect then you are not overstocked in my opnion

Old 12-11-2011, 04:42 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

already 9PM here
Old 12-11-2011, 04:48 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingrays4
Hi i think the old saying kicks in here - if it aint broke why fix it?
Yes the FX5 is helluva bit of kit,and would do a great job,but as you are getting perfect readings then that would suggest all is OK I do not know the filters you are using so cannot comment on them
Footnote :- if your readings are perfect then you are not overstocked in my opnion
Well thank you so much for response. Most people tell me I'm overstocked. But yes, like you said I have no water issues. I do my WC's sometime 2x a week but my ammonia is NEVER above .25ppm and my Nitrates are usually anywhere from 5.0-20ppm and my Nitrites are always 0ppm.

Also have 12 Anubias in my tank. Seems to be the only plant they leave alone.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 12-11-2011, 04:59 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hi your welcome yes anubius a very hardy plant so are you going to get the FX5 or get something else?
Now its 9pm* here lfs shut nearly five hours ago
One way of improving filter performance without getting a new filter is to use some sintered glass media such as eheims efhisubstrate expensive but worth it
Old 12-11-2011, 05:16 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingrays4
Hi your welcome yes anubius a very hardy plant so are you going to get the FX5 or get something else?
Now its 9pm* here lfs shut nearly five hours ago
One way of improving filter performance without getting a new filter is to use some sintered glass media such as eheims efhisubstrate expensive but worth it
I never heard of that media before and I'm still thinking about the FX5 if I REALLY don't need it then maybe I'll just get some other things instead.

Old 12-11-2011, 05:32 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hi if you fancy it then why not go for it
Most makers of external filters make there own version of it. Its basically a very porous media with a very large surface area for bacteria to colonise i believe its is made of a kind of glass? Looks clay like?
Old 12-11-2011, 06:19 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I would get it but not at your LFS unless they have amazon prices, I've seen them for around 300ish while you can get it on amazon for around 200 plus free shipping.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com