Need help to plan out a UV sterilizer...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Protege

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi fellas,

I'm thinking of adding a UV sterilizer in my tank especially when I'm thinking of keeping a couple of Discus in it. The tank setup is going to be: 37G high (30x12x22), 2 Aquaclear 70 HOBs, Hydor THEO 150W heater, Marineland single bulb hood. When I add my 2nd Aquaclear in the back, there won't be a lot of space for a hang-on UV I think. So, any suggestions on which pump to buy and how to set this up or any other ideas on how to get a UV going? Thanks-in-advance.

IMO they work best plumbed through a cannister filter. You just need to be sure the gph of the filter does not exceed what's required for the UV sterilizer. Otherwise you'll be wasting your money. :wink:

I should have stated earlier that canister filters are out of the question. I think I'll be sticking with my Aquaclears for filtration. Will I be alright just using a powerhead?

beblondie said:
the powerhead will need a pre filteron it then-Anne

Hmmm...alright. So, any other ideas where I just use a pump and the UV, or something that hooks in-line with my HOBs (yeah right)? Thanks.

Nope not with Aqua Clears sorry use a powerhead and sponge pre filter with the out take routed to the UV unit but remember you need to clean then monthly,you need to take the UV unit apart and clean its quartz glass sleeve and every 6-12 months you'll need to replace the UV bulb-Anne

beblondie said:
Nope not with Aqua Clears sorry use a powerhead and sponge pre filter with the out take routed to the UV unit but remember you need to clean then monthly,you need to take the UV unit apart and clean its quartz glass sleeve and every 6-12 months you'll need to replace the UV bulb-Anne

I got lucky today. Stopped by at one of my lfs and they happened to have an internal UV sterilizer. Comes with its own powerhead and everything. The only problem though is that I think I bought the small one rather than the big one. Well, it's quoted for 50G, and my tank is 37, I'm hoping that it will sterilize the water properly. Thanks for all the comments, fellas. Greatly appreciated. :)

Back
Top Bottom