Need Help to replace my Aqua-tech 20-40 Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I did another test this morning and the nitrate look below 15./so it work. My fishes look Happy! Heheh

I wondering if it could help to have a air pump to improve flow. For better oxygens and eliminate some nitrate?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I wondering if it could help to have a air pump to improve flow. For better oxygens and eliminate some nitrate?
It won't hurt anything but unless your tank is lacking in oxygen for some reason it won't help anything either. Your HOB filtration system should be ensuring there is quite a bit of oxygen in the water.

Fluval C4

I would go for the C4 personally. Keep in mind, I am an over-filtration guy.

I have used AquaClears for a long time but lately I have been trying out the Cx series filters and they are growing on me.

Either way, those are all good choices.
I may be a bit late here but if you have not already bought a filter, get the C4. That's what I have on my 29 gallon and it works great. Before that, I was running a C3 ... which I moved to my 38 gallon tanks as one of three filters.

The C3 needed the mechanical media replaced quite frequently. The C4 goes 5-6 weeks. Cost is about the same because with the C3 you have to buy a $7 plastic extension tube to get water from closer to the bottom of the tank. The C4 comes with it standard.

[I use cut to fit media including 100 & 50 micron polsing pads. I use Purigen in the chemical chamber. Seachem Purigen helps a bit with nitrate reduction and keeps water crystal clear and polsihed.]

I too had an aqua-tech and was able to get good results with custom media but what a "pain." The Flucval C series makes media changes a snap.

I just received my new C4. Should I run both for 2-3 weeks, until de bacteria get in my new bio filter?

Right now I need to do a 25% water change every week to keep my nitrate below 50ppm.

I also bought prime as a conditioner. Hope to get better result compare the aqua plus & cycle.

Did you ever try the edge prefilter from fluval to put on the filtration tip? I have it on it, ready to start tomorrow. :)

Thanks I will look for other options for carbon chemical filtration in my C4.

I need to be able to keep my nitrate lower for Lil longer..

I just received my new C4. Should I run both for 2-3 weeks, until de bacteria get in my new bio filter?
Yes.

Right now I need to do a 25% water change every week to keep my nitrate below 50ppm.

I need to be able to keep my nitrate lower for Lil longer..
More filtration is not going to going to reduce nitrates. A 25-50% weekly water change is totally normal. Nitrates are a factor of how much fish you have in the tank, not filtration.

Did you ever try the edge prefilter from fluval to put on the filtration tip? I have it on it, ready to start tomorrow. :)
That will probably reduce flow through your filter. I would not use it unless you have a specific reason to.

Yes.

More filtration is not going to going to reduce nitrates. A 25-50% weekly water change is totally normal. Nitrates are a factor of how much fish you have in the tank, not filtration.

That will probably reduce flow through your filter. I would not use it unless you have a specific reason to.

I agree for the most part.

I use the Fluval pre-filter sponges on my C3's on my 38 gallon and I used to use one on my C4. The sponges work great but the C4 intake tube has a wider diameter than the C3 so it is very tight fit. I quit using it when it ripped apart after a few months due to frequent rinsing out to avoid clogging.

I find that using Seachem Purigen in lieu of carbon reduces the amount of water changes. My tap is so bad I must use 50% bottled spring water &/or RO drinking water. I get by with just over 20% weekly changes so Purigen pays for itself at about $8 from Amazon. Purigen also makes the water so crystal clear and polished that it is "stunning."

Here is a link to my HOB filtration pictures and explanations which include custom mechanical media & chemical chamber for the C4:

HOB Filtration Photos by Paul1792 | Photobucket

I will definitely try Purigen. To be honest I don't know if I need carbon filter because I don't have chlorine in my tap water so maybe purigen could be better for me.

I don't know if my c4 need to be break in but right now it is kind of noisy.

I will definitely try Purigen. To be honest I don't know if I need carbon filter because I don't have chlorine in my tap water so maybe purigen could be better for me.

I don't know if my c4 need to be break in but right now it is kind of noisy.
Water noise, vibration noise or pump noise? If it is the latter make sure the water level is high enough and there is enough water in the filter itself. If it is rattling make sure the cover is on tight and that you properly adjusted the little plastic standoff on the back.

Look more like the motor that making noise. I read on the web that sometime it need to be brake in Lil. And they talking about puting Lil Vaseline on the propeler Axel.

That filter have a huge flow. I am pretty impress about it. Need to reduce it when I feed the fishes hehehe. Outside the noise it's a amazing piece filter

Back
Top Bottom