Need Help to replace my Aqua-tech 20-40 Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aCHadien

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi guys,

i am new here, i bought a fish tank (about 33) gallons. it was second hands, came with aqua-tech 20-40 filter.

i want to replace it with something better.

i did some research but i can't decide between these models:

Fluval C3
Fluval C4
Aquaclear 70

i like the fluval one, but i don't know if i need a C4 or C3 will do the job.

i have:
2 guppy
2 Tetra (red nose)
2 gold barb
1 Angel fish
1 bleeding heart tetra
1 don't know is name ( same size then my bleeding heart tetra, but clear color)
1 big Pleco Catfish

please help me.

sorry for my bad English :oops:

I would go for the C4 personally. Keep in mind, I am an over-filtration guy.

I have used AquaClears for a long time but lately I have been trying out the Cx series filters and they are growing on me.

Either way, those are all good choices.

Thanks. Right now I have challenge to reduce the nitrate. I did a 25% water change yesterday and this morning it when from 20ppm to 50 ppm. I hope the new filter could help a little.
I read that algone could be good to put in my aqua tech until I receive and I build bacterial in my new filter.

How many days I need to Run both filters? I will need to remove my cover both will not fit I only have about 16 inches to cut in the cover plastic.

Thanks again

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Btw I am new and French at the mean time. Lol sorry about that! :)

Thanks. Right now I have challenge to reduce the nitrate. I did a 25% water change yesterday and this morning it when from 20ppm to 50 ppm. I hope the new filter could help a little.
I read that algone could be good to put in my aqua tech until I receive and I build bacterial in my new filter.
More filtration is not going to affect your nitrate growth materially. How often are doing water changes and how much are you changing at a time?

How many days I need to Run both filters? I will need to remove my cover both will not fit I only have about 16 inches to cut in the cover plastic.
I would run them in parallel for at least a couple of weeks. Alternatively, you could just take the filter material from the old filter tear it up and stuff it in the new filter.

I have that aquarium since 3/weeks . I did 2 water changes of 25% since that. So every week.

I save about 50% of the old water when I move it from previous owner.
I lost 2 angels fish since that. First week everything was at zero. Amo, nitrite and nitrate. Since my first gravel clean. Look like the bacterial is growing. There was a lot of waste under water.

I changed my carbons filter yesterday...

I know fake plants. I payed only 75$ for everything.

Attachments

• 1415380531746.jpg
    1415380531746.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 109
It sounds like the tank may be cycling.

Are ammonia and nitrite still 0?

I am giving this every two days to my cleaner fish. Should I stop until nitrate is below 20?

Attachments

• 1415381026471.jpg
    1415381026471.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 82
You just need to do water changes to lower the nitrate.

I am wondering if the old water you got from the previous owner was very high in nitrates.

Hmnm I did a test when I lost my first angel. 3 days after I receive it. And nitrate was zero. Remember I had to replace at least 50% water with fresh one. In my first week I did a mistake. I puted nutrafin cycle like if it was new and if it was a 50gallon tank. Previous owner told me it was a 55gallon. :( . I don't know if it could afect the nitrate in the cycling process?

Can we do multiple water change in the same week without stressing the fish to much?

Can we do multiple water change in the same week without stressing the fish to much?
Yes, you can do them daily or even more frequently if you need to.

Have you tried testing your tap water for nitrates? Is it possible that the issue is actually in the source water?

OK thanks. I will test my water. I have the mini master kit for testing.

I like this forum. It help me to learn. There's so much to learn.
Thanks again. I will let u know the result of my test.

I did the test and nothing in my water source. I think maybe I am overcrowded and maybe we are Lil overfeading. I don't know what could do that !

So you have 8 small fish, an angelfish and a pleco.

How big is the pleco?

It doesn't real sound overcrowded unless the pleco is huge.

I have 4 very small (guppy + tetra rummynose). 2 small tetra. 2 small medium gold barb and 1 angel medium size. My pleco is about 7 inches. /total around 25 inches of fishes.

I just remember that when I change my filter that the carbon filter was installed reversal. Blue carbon was on the side of the bio fiber. It was dirty too. Both of them actually I rinsed the bio with some used tank and I changed the carbon one. Will defenetly do another test tonight and tomorrow...

Back
Top Bottom