Need help with aquarium stand ASAP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

matratzac

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We have an aquarium stand that we have used for the past 3 years... we recently moved and had to repaint it because while the stand was in storage, we had boxes on it and the cardboard stuck to the paint. We had to sand down the parts that had cardboard stuck to it, and we repainted it with some black semi gloss water resistant paint.

Our problem is that anything we put on top of this thing (literally) will stick to it and when you pull it off it pulls off paint. For example, if you lay a book on top of it, it will immediately stick almost like its got tape on it and you have to peel it off.

We have semi gloss on walls and it never does this ****. Does anyone have any recommendation on what we can do? Should we sand the top down and repaint it with flat or eggshell black and then put spar varnish on it to waterproof it? It seems like with spar varnish it would still be sticky. We need it to be water resistant somehow but even if we put a table runner over it it sticks to the **** thing like its glued.

HELP. we are leaving to go out of town tomorrow and when we come back we are swinging by to pick up our 55 gallon and need it painted so that it doesn't do this TONIGHT.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd suggest you go to a local paint store (not HD/Lowes but one that specializes) and get some advice there. Sounds like you're about to blow a gasket so hitting up a professional might be the best route. Or call one though I'd clean the language up a tad :)

I'd suggest you go to a local paint store (not HD/Lowes but one that specializes) and get some advice there. Sounds like you're about to blow a gasket so hitting up a professional might be the best route. Or call one though I'd clean the language up a tad :)

figured out what i need to do. I simply need to lightly sand the gloss off the paint and use spar varnish on top. that should fix it.

careful on the type of varnish you use, go to prof. paint store and get something like a 3M or other commercial product, otherwise salt, humidy and/or heat will affect the clear coat/varnish and have it come right off.

right, I just wasn't sure...also, if you're mixing it yourself to spray it, careful on the amount of thinner you put in and actually which thinner you put in, some thinners will have a reaction where it never allows the vrnish to cure and ry on the wood, and this same will continue to happen, matter of fact, if you took a piece of tape, scotch tape or even just masking tape it would peel it rigth off (went down the road with a custom 50k office set).

had tried new thinner as it wasnt as strong smell wise, curing time was less, etc...and backfired.

You are correct Spar is what is used on wooden boats. I put it on my stand when I built it. The only thing you will see is it will "bleach" over time.

Back
Top Bottom