Need help with choosing new lighting.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sniperhank

Giant Clam Addict
So, my new 55gal is 48 long, 13 wide, and 20.5 tall. I want to keep SPS in my tank.

I was looking at a 6 bulb unit from aquaticlife, but it is a tad over 15 with the legs on it. How badly would this affect my corals getting light from the overhang? I like this unit especially due to its one cord and the ability to program lighting schedules.

What about LEDs? I know very little about them other than some are very far from being able to provide the lighting needed for corals.

I was looking at the 24 inch Orphek Power Reef PR156. Anyone use it, have comments, or think that 2 of these would be enough for my SPS?
24 Inch Orphek Power Reef PR156 LED Light Fixture

What about the EcoTech Marine Radion XR30w?
EcoTech Marine Radion XR30w LED Light Fixture

I could really use some feedback. I'd go with 8 bulb unit but my tank isn't wide enough and I need the power for SPS. Thanks.

The over hang won't really matter any and the 6 bulb setup should be just fine... If anything you may just have to keep high light corals on the top half but I doubt it

Well I look at it like this. The 6 bulb unit is over 500 bucks. And the bulbs would need switched out for some blues and a fiji purple so 700 bucks off the bat. And new lights every 6 months.

For the LEDs, looking at the Orphek one runs 749.

Since my tank is 48 long, I could get 2 of the Orphek LEDs for 1500 and have my whole tank covered and not have to replace the LEDs for a long long time. Not only that, I would be able to keep sps anywhere in my tank with almost no energy consumption.

The more I read the more I am leaning toward LED I think. I wish the Orpheks could be controlled together. The EcoTechs communicate with each other, but am kinda hoping for someone to give imput on them as it doesn't appear they would have as great coverage with the unit only being 7 inches wide with 2 circular LEDs in the middle. To me, the Orpheks would have better coverage with the LEDs evenly spaced around the 6.1 inch wide unit.

Back
Top Bottom