Need help with holes in the bottom of tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcass

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was given a tank today that is a 100 gallon half round tank. In the bottom of the tank towards the back are two holes. They are about 1" in diameter and about 6-8 inches apart. The guy that gave it to me said that he thought they were for the filter tubes to come through and that they were just siliconed around. I would really like to get this tank going but am not sure about these holes. What are they for and how do I seal them so that the tank holds water? As you can see in the pictures he has taped up the holes but you can still see where they are and how big.

Attachments

• 100tank.JPG
    100tank.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 96
  • 100tankbottom.JPG
    100tankbottom.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 91
They are most likely drilled holes for a saltwater tank setup or for using a sump type filter.

I am wanting to use it for African Cichlids. But what do I do about the holes? Oh he did also mention something about it used to have some sort of Coral feature attached to the bottom between those two holes if that makes any difference.

Mcass said:
I am wanting to use it for African Cichlids. But what do I do about the holes? Oh he did also mention something about it used to have some sort of Coral feature attached to the bottom between those two holes if that makes any difference.

I have several tanks that are bottom drilled. I just put a piece of glass over the hole and siliconed around it.

I have a Rena Filstar XP 200. Would that be enough filtration for this 100 gallon tank?

I have just finished patching my tank ,75 gallon with the same holes in it. I went to my local glass shop and had them cut me a piece of glass 10 inches long by 5 inches wide.....now this is what you need to do....make sure your glass piece is the same thickness as your tank, or a little thicker.. The glass on my tank is 1/4 inch thick so thats what i went with...nothing thinner than that !!!!!.. Next you need to scrape any residue from where the holes are ..i used a new razor blade and got up all the old glue/silicone that was on there......next you need to clean off bolth the tank and the patch of any residue and oils.......now this part is very important....you need to buy 100% silicone !!!!!!... And use the clear stuff ... Now lay a nice bead of silicone around bolth holes ,,,then a bead of silicone around the patch...now you lay your patch down over the holes ....what i did next is put a book down over the patch ,then put about 20 pounds of weight on it for 1-2 days... I used a dumbell. ..then take your weight off of it,and also the book...now you take your silicone and lay a bead of it all around the outside of your patch work and let it cure for a few days.....you should have no problems from here on in !!!!...

Good luck, and let me know how it worked out for you....tomorrow i am going to fill my tank, its been a week of curing time for my patch and its ready now.

Back
Top Bottom