Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-29-2011, 12:34 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Need help with pvc overflow!

Hi. I am having trouble with this PVC overflow. It makes a lot of noise and doesnt keep siphon. Should I just get an overflow box or is there another PVC overflow design I can try? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3799501915.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	45666   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4179141899.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	45667  

Old 07-29-2011, 12:50 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

make the one that hangs in the tank a little bit shorter , the A and B piece. Make sure you put a cap on the C piece with a hole in the middle. To start the syphon you suck the air out through the C tube and once it starts you shouldn't have to do it again. I have one of these at home I made recently and works fine, looks identical except those things i mentioned.

And the noise...ahhhh deal with it. LOL just kidding but idk, i got so much noise in my room but i dont mind personally. I sleep with a pillow over my head. I've heard people say if you but a L piece at the tip of your B, it makes less noise (which I have). But I don't mind much about noise so cant help there. I've noticed the most noise comes from the water gushing into the refugium at bursts. Lemme know if you need more help

Old 07-29-2011, 05:02 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Those pictures aren't of my unit, they're from the Internet lol. Mine has the mods that you have mentioned and they still do not work. What thickness PVC have you used?
Old 07-29-2011, 05:06 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I use a 3/4" but instead of 1 "B" inlet I have two of them next to each other just as a precaution. I am not sure why but I would say....you are not sucking hard enough. Lol. You need to suck on that "C" piece until the water literally hits your mouth and you will get immediate strong siphon that will run to your refugium/sump. I can take a picture of mine but its pretty much like that. And btw I have a 1/8" hold drilled to the top of the C piece cap and suck through there.

Said suck a lot in this post. lets not be children now
Old 07-29-2011, 05:08 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oh also, the pipe that leads to the sump which would be connected to part "F" would probably need to be submerged. Mine is, because I think if it is not under water the sucking you are doing is not getting the trapped air bubble to start the siphon but rather just sucking air from the outlet. make sense?
Old 07-29-2011, 05:09 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Lol I've definitely sucked this thing until I got water in my mouth and it works just not well. I might do this again with 3/4" instead of 1/2" lol
Old 07-29-2011, 05:12 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

hmm thats strange because if anything I wouldve thought 1/2" would be better. I heard problems only when it gets to the higher diameters. Do you have a cap with a hole in it on your C pipe? If you only have a cap it will not work. Try and upload some pictures I can figure it out a lot better
Old 07-29-2011, 05:14 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

and maybe your inlet (the part that water flows into) isn't low enough under the surface? I use a 90 degree pvc elbow so half or more of the pipe is covered with water flowing in
Old 07-29-2011, 11:57 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well it all works but now I CANNOT get the overflow/ puMp in sync. ......it's been hours lol
Old 07-30-2011, 12:06 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well is your overflow draining too fast or is your return pump too strong? If draining too fast then get a stronger pump if the other one then maybe add another ova outlet to drain the water?

Tags
flow, overflow, pvc, pvc overflow

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com