Need Light Shield for Shop Light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Help

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have bought a shop light that holds two fluorescent bulbs from a local hardware store. Now I want to buy some egg-crate as a cover for my tank which will also keep the shop light from falling into the tank.

Should I buy the white egg-crate or the shiny metallic kind that costs twice as much? Would the reflective metallic kind put more light into the tank than the white one? Also I need a shield for the shop light.

I don't water splashing up from the tank and and short circuiting the shop light and causing a fire or an explosion. What is a good shield that is easy to find, easy to work with, and won't block the light? Glass is too heavy and expensive.

Is there a way to make the fluorescent lights and the rest of the shop lights, like the ballasts and all the other electrical components, waterproof so that if water does come in contact with it nothing bad will happen? That would probably be better than a protective shield.

And is there a way to put longer legs on the shop light so that the fluorescent tubes don't lay smack dab on the shield or the egg-crates? I think that would be a fire hazard too.

Please give as much details as possible. If there is anything I missed let me know.

Welcome to AA. First don't get the "shiny" it might flake off and get into you tank. 2nd probally not gonna be able to make them 100% waterproof, 3rd I don't know if there is enough heat from the lights to cause a problem with the eggcrate. get a piece and put the lights on it in you garage (not in the house and not over your tank) 8O and trun it on and leave it for 12 hrs. check it often and see there is any distortion, discoloration, or damage. if so the we gotta get them off the egg crate (even an inch or 2). HTH :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom