Need New Aquarium Heater, Best Choice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheChad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey all,

My 350 watt ViaAqua (VA-350T) Titanium Header just up and quit yesterday, I came home and my tank was a few degrees cool, sometimes my son touches the knob on the control, so I turned it up and it never came on, I turned it all the way up and no response.

So After several years of reliable service, I am now in the market for a new tank heater.

I would LIKE to get one with a digital read out of both current tank temp and set temp. Hopefully one that's more accurate. The ViaAqua I had set at about 75 degrees which kept my tank at 77-79 degrees.

I would prefer more of a controller type than just a thermostat type. I don't mind spending a little money, but I really don't want to spend $200-$300!

When I bought the ViaAqua it came highly recommended from people on this forum. It's been several years now and there have been advancements in the heaters available.

Can anyone make some suggestions? It MUST be externally controlled, The heating element and thermostat go in my sump and the controller is mounted on the inside wall of my tank stand.

Thanks!

-TheChad

It may not be what you are looking for but like you I have used a ViaAqua 200w titanium heater for over a year without the temp problems you had. I personally think for the price and reliability it is hard to beat at least in my experience.

I'm not against another ViaAqua product. I just want a digital controller type this time..

I was looking at this unit: Finnex Aquarium Controller Titanium Heater 300 500 800 Watts HC810M 800U | eBay

it's a 500w Titanium Heater W/Digital Controller, but Doesn't show Current Temp and Set Temp.

I was also looking at this unit: 500W Titanium Element Aquarium Heater Controller Blueline 500 Watts | eBay

Which is also a 500w Titanium Heater w/Digital Controller, it DOES show both Current Temp and Set Temp. But I believe the Finnex is a better more well known brand? The Finnex is also a quite a bit cheaper, though that is not my primary concern.

Thanks,

-TheChad

Via aqua make heaters with digital controllers and an external thermostats now. I have a 300 watt on my 75 gallon . I paid around 50 bucks for mine and it's accurate to .5 of a degree

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I ended up purchasing the finnex controller and Titanium heater from http://www.kensfish.com for $64.40! I will post my results once I get it up and running!

As for the temp difference variation on my old ViaAqua, that may or may not be a common issue with having the heater in the Sump. The Sump may very well be at the correct temp, but the tank may run a few degree's cooler. I have a thermometer in the tank, so as to make sure the tank is the correct temp, even if the sump is a few degrees warmer, The only thermometer I have in the sump is the one on the heater controller.

Anyway, I think this Finnex unit will be a very good unit, and under $70, I think it's a heck of a deal!

Thanks!

-TheChad

Back
Top Bottom