Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-16-2013, 12:56 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhat06 View Post
I would like to stick with hang on back I think. These Aquaclear reviews seem fantastic. Amazon has it for 49.99. However, isn't the "next step up"/even better filter brand Fluval? An HOB Fluval C3 is $50.00 on Amazon. Thoughts/debates? Thanks
The flow rate is much lower on the Fluval. For the same price, I would definitely go with the Aquaclear 70. They're both made by the same company anyway; in fact, they are even rebranding the Aquaclear as another Fluval now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushgodrex View Post
Don't those filters don't last long in tanks with sand in them tho..
Cut an aquaclear foam block to fit over the intake, then cut an X shaped hole in the middle. Slip it on there and you're golden.

severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:58 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by severum mama View Post
The flow rate is much lower on the Fluval. For the same price, I would definitely go with the Aquaclear 70. They're both made by the same company anyway; in fact, they are even rebranding the Aquaclear as another Fluval now. Cut an aquaclear foam block to fit over the intake, then cut an X shaped hole in the middle. Slip it on there and you're golden.
Thanks but I have a canister filter

Old 12-16-2013, 01:25 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have tried HOB filters, sponge filters, and internal filters. I finally invested in a Fluval canister filter and it was the best decision I've ever made. The water is next level clean and it really eliminates the bulk and visual distraction of the other types of filters. Definitely worth the money - you will not regret it.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:38 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have had a Marineland hob filters on all my sand tanks and its always been fine. Going on 2 years now
Old 12-17-2013, 10:52 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushgodrex View Post
Thanks but I have a canister filter
I do the same thing for my canisters. It works the same way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 05:38 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

I had two Aquaclear 70's running on my 55 gallon for a long time, and they were running way before that. I switched the 55 up to a canister but I still have one 70 running on the 55 and I moved the other to a 36 gallon. Both are and have always ran great.

My 55 is sand substrate and I have never had a problem with the sand getting in the filter, of course you don't want to go in there and just mix the sand all up. They are IMO one of the best, if not the best HOB for the money. You have a lot of choices as far as media with a dual setup.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:45 PM   #17

The OP said that AC70 offers the flexibility to filter a 50 gallon tank. This isn't true. I don't care what their marketing team says. An AC70 can handle a 30 gallon, at the most, and that's it. In a 30 gallon it barely produces enough flow and surface agitation as it is. The addition of an airpump would not be a bad idea.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:48 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

An Ac70 is perfectly fine for an under stocked 55? It could handle a heavily stocked 30 gallon easily they are a large filter. The bubbler isn't a bad idea for oxygen reasons. But as far as filtration goes you can't go wrong with the AC70.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:54 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh7 View Post
An Ac70 is perfectly fine for an under stocked 55? It could handle a heavily stocked 30 gallon easily they are a large filter. The bubbler isn't a bad idea for oxygen reasons. But as far as filtration goes you can't go wrong with the AC70.
I have to disagree. An AC70 is no good for a 55. Two of them? Yes. Absolutely. But not one.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:55 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's fine you can have your opinion of course over filtration is better but 1 IMO is fine for a not overstocked 55.

Tags
filter, new filter, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com