Need new filter for 30g tank - BEST FILTER?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greenhat06

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys, I have just about had it with my current filter (Aqua-Tech 20-40) and it seems to be hitting the fan in its life. So I am looking to replace it. First of all, are they are "obvious/must buy" brands/models that I should just stop looking immediately and get it? I'm not looking for anything too expensive but I appreciate a good filter and know how important it is for the life of my fish. Secondly, I am thinking of possibly upgrading to a 50/55 gallon tank in the next year. Any filters you would suggest that could work in both (as it would just be "over-filtrated" in my 30? From my understanding, this can't be a bad thing right? Is it possible though that water would be sucked too powerfully through the hose and fish would also go with it because it's more powerful?) Thanks all

I was told the other day that there is no such thing as over filtration, canister filters are my favorite now. I mainly got it because it's sand friendly. Just get the 55 gallon filter or bigger so you don't have to spend more money in the long run.

An AquaClear 70 would be a good HOB to look into, and if you don't mind the extra cost a Fluval 206 or 306 would be nice canister options. If you are looking at the 55g too then you might need to double up or get a larger one (like a 406).

I would like to stick with hang on back I think. These Aquaclear reviews seem fantastic. Amazon has it for 49.99. However, isn't the "next step up"/even better filter brand Fluval? An HOB Fluval C3 is $50.00 on Amazon. Thoughts/debates? Thanks

I have a Fluval C3 on my 29 gallon and it works great.

I too am replacing Aqua-Tech (30-60 -330GPH) on the 38 gallon but I am going with 2 aquaclear 50's. Aquaclears are a wee bit easier to do custom media. I am going with a two filter system as a fail safe and because space behind the tank to the wall is limited.

The aquaclear also comes with an extra extension tube to go deep into the tank. The Fluval C3 you have to order it extra.

For tips on making these filters give you some really crystal clear & polished water, go here

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...-any-suggestion-pictures-inside-286420-4.html

and here:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f60/aquaclear-70-a-282932.html#post2693871

Also, for either filter - be sure and order the Fluval Pre Filter Sponge.

As of now, I am planning on buying the AquaClear 70. This has fantastic reviews on-line and seems to offer the flexibility to filter a 50 gallon tank if I decide to upgrade my current 30g. Any final protests??

That's a great choice you can't go wrong with an Aquaclear!
Yep ....... and don't forget the fluval pre-filter sponge, seachem purigen, & polishing pads for the most crystal clear water you ever have seen !!!

Fluval C series & Aquaclears can be made to work every bit as good as canister filters without the expense and more importantly, without the mess.

***************** Yep ....... and don't forget the fluval pre-filter sponge, seachem purigen, & polishing pads for the most crystal clear water you ever have seen !!! Fluval C series & Aquaclears can be made to work every bit as good as canister filters without the expense and more importantly, without the mess.

Don't those filters don't last long in tanks with sand in them tho..

The same can be said of any non canister filter that doesn't have steps taken to protect it. I had two marineland filters get their impellers shredded by sand this year.

I would like to stick with hang on back I think. These Aquaclear reviews seem fantastic. Amazon has it for 49.99. However, isn't the "next step up"/even better filter brand Fluval? An HOB Fluval C3 is $50.00 on Amazon. Thoughts/debates? Thanks
The flow rate is much lower on the Fluval. For the same price, I would definitely go with the Aquaclear 70. They're both made by the same company anyway; in fact, they are even rebranding the Aquaclear as another Fluval now.

Cut an aquaclear foam block to fit over the intake, then cut an X shaped hole in the middle. Slip it on there and you're golden.

The flow rate is much lower on the Fluval. For the same price, I would definitely go with the Aquaclear 70. They're both made by the same company anyway; in fact, they are even rebranding the Aquaclear as another Fluval now. Cut an aquaclear foam block to fit over the intake, then cut an X shaped hole in the middle. Slip it on there and you're golden.

Thanks but I have a canister filter :)

I have tried HOB filters, sponge filters, and internal filters. I finally invested in a Fluval canister filter and it was the best decision I've ever made. The water is next level clean and it really eliminates the bulk and visual distraction of the other types of filters. Definitely worth the money - you will not regret it.

I have had a Marineland hob filters on all my sand tanks and its always been fine. Going on 2 years now

I had two Aquaclear 70's running on my 55 gallon for a long time, and they were running way before that. I switched the 55 up to a canister but I still have one 70 running on the 55 and I moved the other to a 36 gallon. Both are and have always ran great.

My 55 is sand substrate and I have never had a problem with the sand getting in the filter, of course you don't want to go in there and just mix the sand all up. They are IMO one of the best, if not the best HOB for the money. You have a lot of choices as far as media with a dual setup.

The OP said that AC70 offers the flexibility to filter a 50 gallon tank. This isn't true. I don't care what their marketing team says. An AC70 can handle a 30 gallon, at the most, and that's it. In a 30 gallon it barely produces enough flow and surface agitation as it is. The addition of an airpump would not be a bad idea.

An Ac70 is perfectly fine for an under stocked 55? It could handle a heavily stocked 30 gallon easily they are a large filter. The bubbler isn't a bad idea for oxygen reasons. But as far as filtration goes you can't go wrong with the AC70.

An Ac70 is perfectly fine for an under stocked 55? It could handle a heavily stocked 30 gallon easily they are a large filter. The bubbler isn't a bad idea for oxygen reasons. But as far as filtration goes you can't go wrong with the AC70.

I have to disagree. An AC70 is no good for a 55. Two of them? Yes. Absolutely. But not one.

That's fine you can have your opinion of course over filtration is better but 1 IMO is fine for a not overstocked 55.

Back
Top Bottom