Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-14-2013, 05:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Need new filter for 30g tank - BEST FILTER?

Hey guys, I have just about had it with my current filter (Aqua-Tech 20-40) and it seems to be hitting the fan in its life. So I am looking to replace it. First of all, are they are "obvious/must buy" brands/models that I should just stop looking immediately and get it? I'm not looking for anything too expensive but I appreciate a good filter and know how important it is for the life of my fish. Secondly, I am thinking of possibly upgrading to a 50/55 gallon tank in the next year. Any filters you would suggest that could work in both (as it would just be "over-filtrated" in my 30? From my understanding, this can't be a bad thing right? Is it possible though that water would be sucked too powerfully through the hose and fish would also go with it because it's more powerful?) Thanks all

Old 12-14-2013, 06:03 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I was told the other day that there is no such thing as over filtration, canister filters are my favorite now. I mainly got it because it's sand friendly. Just get the 55 gallon filter or bigger so you don't have to spend more money in the long run.

Old 12-14-2013, 06:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

An AquaClear 70 would be a good HOB to look into, and if you don't mind the extra cost a Fluval 206 or 306 would be nice canister options. If you are looking at the 55g too then you might need to double up or get a larger one (like a 406).
Old 12-14-2013, 06:55 PM   #4

I would like to stick with hang on back I think. These Aquaclear reviews seem fantastic. Amazon has it for 49.99. However, isn't the "next step up"/even better filter brand Fluval? An HOB Fluval C3 is $50.00 on Amazon. Thoughts/debates? Thanks
Old 12-14-2013, 07:45 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have a Fluval C3 on my 29 gallon and it works great.

I too am replacing Aqua-Tech (30-60 -330GPH) on the 38 gallon but I am going with 2 aquaclear 50's. Aquaclears are a wee bit easier to do custom media. I am going with a two filter system as a fail safe and because space behind the tank to the wall is limited.

The aquaclear also comes with an extra extension tube to go deep into the tank. The Fluval C3 you have to order it extra.

For tips on making these filters give you some really crystal clear & polished water, go here

I want me water even cleaner, any suggestion. Pictures inside!

and here:

Aquaclear 70

Also, for either filter - be sure and order the Fluval Pre Filter Sponge.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:35 PM   #6

As of now, I am planning on buying the AquaClear 70. This has fantastic reviews on-line and seems to offer the flexibility to filter a 50 gallon tank if I decide to upgrade my current 30g. Any final protests??
Old 12-16-2013, 12:37 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's a great choice you can't go wrong with an Aquaclear!
Old 12-16-2013, 09:38 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh7 View Post
That's a great choice you can't go wrong with an Aquaclear!
Yep ....... and don't forget the fluval pre-filter sponge, seachem purigen, & polishing pads for the most crystal clear water you ever have seen !!!

Fluval C series & Aquaclears can be made to work every bit as good as canister filters without the expense and more importantly, without the mess.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:40 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul1792 View Post
***************** Yep ....... and don't forget the fluval pre-filter sponge, seachem purigen, & polishing pads for the most crystal clear water you ever have seen !!! Fluval C series & Aquaclears can be made to work every bit as good as canister filters without the expense and more importantly, without the mess.
Don't those filters don't last long in tanks with sand in them tho..
Old 12-16-2013, 12:01 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushgodrex View Post

Don't those filters don't last long in tanks with sand in them tho..
The same can be said of any non canister filter that doesn't have steps taken to protect it. I had two marineland filters get their impellers shredded by sand this year.

Tags
filter, new filter, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com