Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-22-2005, 04:44 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

This is a great thread. I think your reasoning for the second XP3 is sound, but figure one XP may be able to do the job, especially since you don't need additional biomedia or more total current, per tetrin's ARLC skillz. Also, I'm cheap.

wet.biggiantnerds.com
czcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 05:05 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I'm leaning towards a new XP3. Cheap is good. It's cheaper than going the Oceanclear 340 route and I think it may greatly help my crappy issue. I'm leary of simply splitting the current XP3's intake into two, I think it would reduce the amount of water flowing into the XP3 on the right side too much.

Anyway, enough with the diagrams, here's a REAL picture of the tank in question:

Old 08-22-2005, 05:13 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

one factor that we haven't taken into consideration is the size of the rocks. all the previous reasonings have implicitly assumed that the size and distribution of rocks on both halves of the tank are the same.
however, if you have a larger rock distribution on the left, you are providing more points for the flow to stagnate and create recirculation zones.

below is a rough modification of your diagram where i tried to explain why you have the 3rd recirculation zone - the placement of the rock on the left side in the line of flow of the UGJ.

czcz - i wouldn't place much faith on my ARLC skills . i'd like to get a confirmation from others too. after all, my experience with them runs into about 3 weeks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 125flow.jpg (34.9 KB, 17 views)

75g : Malawi
40g breeder: Planted community
29g : SA(change of plans...again)
20g : community ("given" to a friend)
tetrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 05:17 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Interesting theory about the 3rd CCP. Maybe moving that one rock might help it. I would think I would still need an intake on that side of the tank, though. (More thinking to come...)
Old 08-22-2005, 05:22 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

oops...didn't see your post. you are almost a mind-reader. i was thinking of asking you to post a picture of your tank . great tank BTW...

in light of the new evidence, we can safely assume that you have an uniform rock distribution on both side.
so the cheapest alternative i can suggest is -
try changing your aquascape. create a gradient from the right the left with more rocks heaped on the right. though i wouldn't blame you if you don't want to tinker with the rocks anymore.
but i do believe that freeing up the left of the taller rocks would provide a simple solution. might be wrong though .

Old 08-22-2005, 06:11 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

what kind of africans do you have in there?
if i'm not mistaken, i think it's predominantly a hap tank with a few yellow labs - a few copadichromis borleyi, a compressiceps...and maybe a peacock on the right?

anyway, all of these guys would appreciate if you open up one side of the tank and give them somewhat more swimming room.
but please ignore this post if i'm way off on my id... ...

Old 08-22-2005, 08:55 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Here's what I've got right now:

1 Aulonocara sp - Strawberry Cichlid (hybred probably)
1 Cyrtocara moorii -Blue Dolphin
2 Copadichromis sp. "Mloto Undu" (1M, 1F) - Mloto Ivory Head
2 Dimidiochromis compressiceps (1M, 1F) - Malawi Eye Biter
4 Labidochromis caeruleus (Kakusa) -Yellow Lab
1 Aulonocara koningsi - Mbenji Peacock, Blue Regal
4 Copadichromis borleyi (Kadango) (1M, 3F) - Red Fin Kandango
1 Aulonocara sp. "Stuartgranti Maleri" (Chipoka) - Sunshine peacock
1 Sciaenochromis fryeri - Electric Blue Ahli
2 Aulonocara stuartgranti (Rubescens) - Ruby peacocks
3 Clown Loaches
1 Hypostomus pleco
1 Spotted bristlenose pleco

So, yeah, you're pretty close with your id's!
Old 08-23-2005, 12:12 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

wow...that's an dream setup you've got there!!!
i simply can't find a way to put it - but that tank is a riot of colors if you have all adults in there... :P

Old 08-23-2005, 12:26 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Dream setup? Don't know about that, but I like the way it turned out. I was torn between a more natural look (sand, etc), and this one, but I saw a cichlid tank at a large fish store that was close to what mine is, and decided to go for 'the look'.

Most are young adults, but some are juveniles. The blue dolphin, yellow labs, and ruby peacocks are all juveniles. I'm waiting to see how the blue dolphin and ruby peacocks turn out, they should add greatly to the look of the tank when they mature.

I have a question on the amount of filtration that would be optimal for an African cichlid tank. What would the optimal turnover rate be? 5? 10? 20? I'm not including any UGJ systems here, just 'filtered' turnover.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:43 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i think the standard recommendation is 10x. but again, i'd double-check anything tetrin says with someone with more experience .
you are right on the strawberry being a hybrid. but as long as it looks good and doesn't breed, i don't care ...
i'd like to see a pic of the mature tank...what are you feeding them?

Tags
filtration, flow, rams, water flow

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com