Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-11-2012, 12:02 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok first pic is overflow from the top. I have no idea if all the hoses are going from or to the aqua lifter correctly. Second is overflow from the front. Next is my sump intake. It's supposed to be hooked up from the protien skimmer? I don't have it hooked up right now because I wanted to skim the sump water to break the skimmer in. Next is a pic of my return. Is there anything I'm missing???

Old 01-11-2012, 09:10 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

wow, that is one confusing setup. LOL

I can understand the overflow part but not sure about the skimmer and the extra line from the aqualifter. Is there a pump attached to the skimmer? They might have set it up with the power from the overflow running the skimmer too.
If thats the case you can get a pump for the skimmer and just have it run normally without extra hoses.

Wish I had a more definite answer for you, but I tried.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:09 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yes there's a sedra 3500 hooked up to the skimmer that is supposed to pull 350 GPH but when I do hook up the pump to the overflow, it doesn't pull anything... The syphon won't stay going without the aqualifter being on. But i had them both on and the lifter didnt do anything. My return pump is dead so i dont know if the system wont even partially work without it. I'm going to buy a Danner Mag Drive 5 pump tomorrow and see if the return was the problem. Either way, something isn't working properly...thanks though Carey.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:11 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I have to keep my aqualifter pump running in order to maintain siphon as well.

Is the mag5 gonna be enough flow? after head loss you might be looking at maybe 300 350 gph.....
Old 01-11-2012, 11:15 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I don't know I've been thinking about that. I've never used sumps until this one, and when it worked it worked great. The sedra pulling water in is only rated for 350 GPH so that's what makes me believe that the 5 will be ok but I'm open for suggestions...
Old 01-11-2012, 11:28 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

well, in a normal setup the pump on the skimmer is kinda immaterial to the size of the return pump. If you arent using the return pump going through the skimmer then you might wanna get a larger mag pump. The overflow however can only handle what put into it and its max so you can also add a ball valve on the return line to throttle back any extra power the pump is supplying.

I'm still kinda confused by your whole setup. Wish we could get more information on that overflow, even the name brand so we can see what it can handle, thatd be a great starting point.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:42 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I wish I knew. I bought the whole sump and overflow set up used. I had to search everywhere to find out what my skimmer was. I think it's a Tom Aquarium Overflow box. But it doesn't say anywhere on the overflow as far as I can tell. I know CPR started using the Tom Aqua Lifter as a means of syphon and then Tom started using it also. I've been on the Tom website and I cannot find this model of overflow. I'm guessing it's discontinued.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:03 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My new pump shipped today...to the wrong address. Now marine depot has to request a reroute which means it'll take an extra day or two...I hope this solves my problem. I may PVC the whole thing and just keep a little tube for special bends. I went with the Mag 5 only because I already have 63 x turnover rate in my display, if I went any higher I'd have close to 70x and that just seems extreme. With 4 feet of hose the return should match what my skimmer pump is pulling into the sump.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:17 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Got my pump in today! After getting a ball valve, some other little attachments, and cursing alot I got it all running. Thank goodness! It's all running and I think I have the return set up to match the overflow. Thanks for all the help!

Tags
flow, overflow

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com