Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-10-2012, 11:33 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Need Overflow Help

I'm trying to get my sump working because I want to add to my stocklist, but I can't get it working properly. First off, I think I have a Tom Aquarium Overflow with an Aqua Lifter AW-20 to help keep syphon going. The intake pump is hooked up to my skimmer. I believe my intake is a Sedra pump. That's working great and my skimmer is working fine, I don't have it hooked to the DT right now, it's just skimming my sump at the moment. Here's where I have problems...i have a rio 2100 return pump that doesn't work anymore for some reason. When it did work it was unreliable loosing pressure all the time. I'm thinking about going with a Danner Mag Drive 5 500 GPH. Does anyone have a Danner or can someone suggest something reliable? I don't need a strong return because I want the water to spend as much time in sump to get it nice and clean. But I'm not sure how much per hour my intake is bringing in. Also the piping is weak. I have flexible plastic tubing, should I PVC the woke darn thing? And should I get rid of the type of overflow that I have? I can't find anything about it really. I want to keep the Aqua Lifter and use it as an auto top off. Any and all help will be appreciated. Thank you.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:36 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I have a CPR overflow with the aqualifter pump, LOVE it! lol hasnt let me down yet.

I'm running a mag 9 on my 90g adn like it very much. Its much better than the rio HF I have on my 125g I'll tell ya that! hehe

I don't think keeping the water in the sump any longer than necessary is really gonna "clean" the water any more than it has. I'm running about 1200gph thorugh my sump in the 125g and about 800 maybe in the 90g.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:45 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Are you using PVC or plastic tubing? Also in the process of moving...I can't remember where all the tubing goes from the Aqua lifter. Is there any way I could get a walkthrough or pics of your sump overflow system? I can't figure out if I have a Tom or CPR overflow, I know it's blue but can't find it online anywhere...
Old 01-10-2012, 11:50 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I'm using a combination of tuning and PVC. I wanted the flexibility of moving things around so everything has some connection to a barbed fitting so i can move things around if I wanted.

Here are some pictures of my overflow

Old 01-10-2012, 12:10 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well I definately don't have that overflow. Almost looks like the same design though. I just figured out I have an ASM protien skimmer. Until I get home and check the sedra pump I won't know what the GPH is. But I think it's only 100GPH. Does the sedra intake NEED to be connected to the overflow? Also where's the return on that CPR Carey?
Old 01-10-2012, 12:13 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I just have my overflow connected to the Aqualifter and the output goes into the back of the overflow. The return is about six feet away at the other end of the tank. I have a dual input CPR overflow so both of those are the input. Or did I not get your question ?LOL
Old 01-10-2012, 12:22 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

....I don't even think I understand what I was asking...the box I have is so complicated. Mine requires the two hoses from the aqua lifter, but then one hose splits off after connecting to a part of the overflow, and then that hose needs to connect to a different part of the overlfow. So there are three different connections and I can't remember which one connects where. My return is connected to my overlfow. This whole sump thing is driving me crazy. I have my sump running with the skimmer, it's up to temp, and I have my LR rubble and a small koralia moving the surface water, but I can't add all that nice water because this overflow is so complicated!
Old 01-10-2012, 12:23 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Can you get a picture? Thatd be great.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:27 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I will when I get home. I work 13 hours today so it won't be till late...I think around midnight your time. Thanks Carey.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:30 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I'll take a look at them and see if I can make any sense of them either. LOL

Youre very welcome.

Tags
flow, overflow

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com