Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-07-2005, 04:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Need recommendation for lighting my 75 gallon.

I have been out on the web looking for some reviews on light fixtures and I haven't gotten too much information from them (I have been aquarium advices reviews). Can anyone recommend a review site or make a suggestion of brand of light fixture I should get. My aquarium is a 48"x20x 18, I am planning to have live rock, soft corals and maybe get some LPS corals. I was thinking of getting a compact light or a VHO. Anyone have any suggestions?

Old 10-07-2005, 06:06 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

For soft corals and LPS, a 4x96w fixture would work fine. If you want the "ripple effect" of metal halide, a 2x175w unit would do fine as well.

HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 06:12 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

check out T5's they are more efficent then the PC's listed above, and run cooler, and provide a nice amount of light and last longer too
75g w/ 30g sump, 160# LR, 60# sand: Inverts =18 turbos, 30 nassirus's, 40 blue leg's, 5 emeralds, 1 CBS, 1 skunk cleaner, 1 brown gulf shrimp? and various other LR hitch hikers yet un discovered or un-ID'ed
Fish=1 yellow tang, 1 yellow headed jawfish, 1 pink/blue shrimpgoby, 2 perc clowns.
Future fish = 1 sixline, 1 lawnmower blenny
mykpoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 07:31 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

VHO is another way to go.. Icecap ballasts and URI bulbs.. You will need a canopy or housing for these.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 11:36 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Okay, I think I got it narrowed down to two different fixtures. My one fixture choice is a 4X96 Orbit Compact. Comes with (2) Dual Daylights (2) Dual Actinic and (4) Lunar Lights, 3 power cords to control the dawn, dusk. Moon-Lite and it comes with legs for mounting.
Or my other choice
48" Nova Extreme 8x54Watt. Comes with (4) Daylights (4) Actinics (4) Lunar Lights. The lgihts are controled indpendently also.
Both these fixtrues are manufactured by Current. The Oribt Compact is more economical. Thank you everyone for your input any last ideas or suggestions will be welcomed.
Old 10-08-2005, 12:15 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

48" Nova Extreme 8x54Watt. Comes with (4) Daylights (4) Actinics (4) Lunar Lights. The lgihts are controled indpendently also.

IMO these are your better choice...

the T5's are more efficent and they will let you keep a very wide variety of corals...

I have a 4 bulb T5 setup and I have the full range of softies, to some of the higher light demanding monticaps and acros (at the top of the tank) and all are doing well...
75g w/ 30g sump, 160# LR, 60# sand: Inverts =18 turbos, 30 nassirus's, 40 blue leg's, 5 emeralds, 1 CBS, 1 skunk cleaner, 1 brown gulf shrimp? and various other LR hitch hikers yet un discovered or un-ID'ed
Fish=1 yellow tang, 1 yellow headed jawfish, 1 pink/blue shrimpgoby, 2 perc clowns.
Future fish = 1 sixline, 1 lawnmower blenny
mykpoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 01:34 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Is your 4 bulb setup on your 75g?

IMO, both fixtures are about the same. Without a study on the two reflectors used, it is difficult to describe one as that much efficient over the other. The only main difference will be that you have to replace 8 bulbs instead of 4, but the difference may not be too drastic. Can't really lose on either.

Can you retrofit or build a canopy? For the prices of those fixtures, I would consider a 2x175w or 2x150w MH as well unless you need a prebuilt fixture.
HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 01:52 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to pelochas Send a message via Yahoo to pelochas
if you have a canopy and if available, ebay has a retrofit Coralife 48 inch 260 watt PC light for $150 plus s/h, no moonlights though but those come by real cheap.

its what i got for my canopy, really looks great. i planning to add a better reflector and add cheap moonlights and fans and even another reflector to cover the entire canopy to get the most reflection and light penetration as possible with those PC.
Old 10-08-2005, 05:21 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Can you retrofit or build a canopy? For the prices of those fixtures, I would consider a 2x175w or 2x150w MH as well unless you need a prebuilt fixture.
I agree. You may want softies and some LPS right now, but it sure is funny how we end up wanting SPS, clams, and other higher light specimens later on (can any one else relate to that LOL). You may end up having to upgrade your lighting later on so from a cost stand-point, try and get the most you can afford right now.
Old 10-10-2005, 05:46 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
4-54watt T-5 HO's is more then enought for everything but SPS and clams on the bottom of the tank on a 75gallon.. 8 would be overkill unless your using poor reflectors..

with 4 and decent reflectors you should be able to keep SPS near the top of the tank.. LPS and softys on the bottom or inbetween..

I asked for some advice on another board that has a few members with quite a bit of T-5 experince to get some general ideas as to what I could do for my 75 gallon if I chose to go with T-5 HO's.. I wanted to get an idea of how powerfull they were when overdivin as well.. you can ignore most of that discussion because its really for tanks deeper then 24inchs.. as told to me by one of the members there.. HTH
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...hreadid=680154

Tags
5 gallon, 75 gallon, light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com