Need recommendations for UV steriluzers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

littleloachlover

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello. We are looking to install uv sterilizers on our 55 gal and our 125 gal FW community tanks. Could anyone recommend any that they would purchase again, or that they regret? Our trusted lfs owner said he keeps in all his personal tanks. Any advice or info. would be great!

You definitly dont need one in a fw tank IMO. dont waste your money and buy a nice filter, like a canister

Thanks for replying! We have eheim eco pros and fluval 405 canister filters. We just thought uv sterilizers would help keep water quality pristine. We have no idea what brands or styles are best. Thanks again; I'll read up on use in fw tanks.

littleloachlover said:
Thanks for replying! We have eheim eco pros and fluval 405 canister filters. We just thought uv sterilizers would help keep water quality pristine. We have no idea what brands or styles are best. Thanks again; I'll read up on use in fw tanks.

I have only heard of them being used in sw, and een then rarely. A better thing you could think about doing if making a sump. That would really help IMO

aqua ultraviolet make some of the best uv around. Just remember that all the water has to pass through the uv for it to be truly effective.

My tank water became greenish algae color in my 55g cichlid tank so I bought a 9W UV Sterilizer from petsmart for $50. Took about a week but the water is crystal clean now. They have a 24w one rated for up to 100g for $80. My readings were all where they should be and I did a 50% water change weekly but still had cloudy water even with a canister and HOB filter the sterilizer really helped.

Just my 2 cents :)

Thanks. Im getting mixed reviews. We are trying to get rid of diatoms / brown algae. Everything else is great. We have a 125 gal with a fluval 405 and an eheim eco pro 2236 and a 55 gal with an eheim 2236. Parameters are alll good as we do 25% water changes weekly. We have multiple live plants and even invested in the exp. Chemipure media. The brown junk comes back. Dont know if a uv would help or hurt; or even possible with 2 can filters on the 125. Our water stays clear, we are just trying to further improve the overall health of our finned friends.

I'm not really sure they'll do much against diatoms, to be honest. The offending algae has to basically be run through the lighting to be affected, and diatoms are notorious for seemingly popping up out of nowhere. I've never tried it for that reason, but would love to know if it works! if you end up trying it let me know, please?

I know when I looked up diatom filters most of them were pretty hefty in price.

How are your phosphates? Do you use ro/di water or just tap water for your water changes and top offs?

That is true that the water has to pass through the bulb in the sterilizer so if the algae is not floating in the water it won't help much.

Re: phosphates...we will have to pick up a test kit to test it. We use tap water for pwc's. I thought the chem-pure would help and we converted to sand substrate. Its all helped but iour CAE keeps getting sick, and its always when the brown stuff comes back.

Back
Top Bottom