Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-15-2005, 11:20 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak
FWIW, I've got a kent CTA10. 10 gallons per day. I'm wondering why some of you have such high capacity units? I mean my tank is relatively big (120), and I use maybe 1 gallon per day for top off and then 15 gallons every 2 weeks for PWC.

So getting 10 gallons per day more than handles my needs. I believe I also read that the lower capacity units have finer membranes.

And I know most of you insist on the DI along with the RO but so far (knock on my wood head) I haven't experienced any ill effects for not having the DI.

120 g FOWLR, Pro Clear 200 19 gal. sump (bio balls removed), 50# Walt Smith FiJi LR, 150# reefersrock base, 300# DSB, Iwaki MD 20 return, (2) Rio 600s, (2) Hagen 802s, Amiracle Quad II skimmer, (2) Coralife 4 X 65s, 2 Lebo moonlights, (2) 120 mm vent. fans,

(2) Perc. Clowns, (1) Yellow Tang, (1) cleaner shrimp, (2) Henis, pending: Foxace Lo, Flame Angel, blue legs, scarlets, 4 emerald crabs, nassarius snails, 50 mexican turbos, (1) good bankruptcy attorney when this hobby blows out of control!
spinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 12:16 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

I like the larger unit 'cause you don't have to wait 4ever to fill up a 5g container. When you have to leave those things on 4 a long time, you tend to forget they're running. Of course when I do water changes (after a few) I fill my 32g trash can to at least half way - but again, don't have to wait all day for it.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 02:00 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
No_Floater I tried to take a look at that site but it doesn't seem that the URL is working, either that or the company is no more? Ya Jaiden when I was looking at the Aqua Safe system it looked really dependable, and I mean i've noticed alot of companies just get like the generic filters and do da's and just add their cheesy white labels to them. But it seems that Aqua Safe is a good system (but i'm just a little hesitant since it comes from canada, you know how them canadians are hehe j/k).

CJ Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 04:16 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
spinman, I have the 100gpd unit and will be getting a 75 replacement membrane when its time to replace mine.
I like water fast and don't want to be waiting around all day. Your lucky if you dont need a DI unit. Most people have water that needs the extra unit to remove all minerals and nitrates, phosphates, silicates. If I could do w/out a Di I would, it would save me some $$. So when we say you should get a DI it is based on experiance with bad water and knowing people who have used just ro units and had algae issues.
I have the typhoon III and love it... AWI is a great company with great customer support. Does it cost a little more then most...yes. But knowing you will get the best service is worth it to me.
9/02-125 REEF, 125 lbs LR,LS 4x160 VHO, Reef Devil /Sump, Fuge
7/03-55 FOWLR 60lb LR, 50 lb SD sand 2x40 NO strip light, Reef Devil/sump, Fuge

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 09:33 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak
well i havnet forgot to reply back but i finally got a shipping tracking number today and wooser it wont be here at the earliest next thursday so i will still post back to ya when i test it out next ahh wanted to tear into the tank this weekend but ohh well it was way cheaper than buying anywhere else.
flame82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 09:48 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak
hay just got my ro/di and will hook it up tommrow i will let know what the water test out to be
Old 09-24-2005, 10:58 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak
I have the coralife RO unit and I had my TDS tested and right out of my tap water was a little over 300ppm and with the unit was about 20ppm. Thats pretty good amount of TDS being removed with just the RO unit.
90 gal sw
Wet/Dry w/ LR ruble
2x Maxi-Jet 1200 Power Head
PC Lighting
Remora pro skimmer
90 lbs LR
80 lbs of Carib Sea

Majestic Angel, Pink spotted gobie. Black percular clown, Coral Beauty, Lt. Tang, Mitratus B/F, Multicolor Dwarf Angelfish
sango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 11:49 AM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

The unit you are looking at is the one I have. Walt is great guy to work with. He has answered my emails on weekends and been very helpful over the 2+ years I've had my unit. The Typhoon series come with clear plastic housings. I find that important for the first stage so I can see when that filter gets dirty and needs to be changed. Just my 2¢ worth.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 10:31 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak
hey just postin back finally!!! got the system hooked up and running and my readings are 96 ppm before and 0-3ppm final water
Old 09-30-2005, 07:10 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
I like the design of the system Fluff posted.. Ive been looking at there systems and contacted the seller about getting a drinking water system (the tank) and she said that the tank is only $25 + $3 s/h if you get the system.. well all told.. If you want to add extra pre-filter cartiges and other add ons she ended up giving me the toll free number to just call and make my order over the phone.. adding the lighter stuff they dont add for shipping and handling if you buy a system..
Fluff's system

If you make a big list of add on items you would like to get with the system and save yourself some shipping and handling the number to contact them to order directly is..
1-888-633-7972 (10am-5pm PST, M-F)

greenmaji is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com