Need some advice!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlucero

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey there guys!
I am new to the forum, a long time (fish only) salt water enthusiast. I recently acquired a used Oceanic 72 gallon bowfront with "supposedly" everything needed to get a reef going. I got a wet dry with a built in skimmer (which I think parts are missing.) My predicament is if I should keep what seems to be a setup for fish only tank (my hint was that it came with a wet dry with bio balls) and spend the money to get that going, or should I try to sell this and buy a brand new setup/tank with the money I get and have saved.

Also what I am considereing is how loud it will be. It will be in my room, and its one of those setups with the built in overflow with two holes at the bottom. A guy at the local aquarium store said that these are very loud. You can buy a silencer, but that would also reduce the water level dramaticaly in the tank (is what he said.)

What do you all think? Thanks!

The water level will always stay the same (for the most part) because the valleys between the overflow teeth regulate height before the waterfall effect. You can make a durso standpipe or similar design to eliminate noise. Do a Search online for it :)

I have wet/dry sump on my 72G w/ overflow and it isn't that noisy at all. The water lvl in my sump is equal to the height of the bioballs. IMO the noise seems to come from the water falling into the sump when trickling through the bioballs. My aquarium is in my main television viewing room and my wife is very picky when it comes to noise and asthetics (haha, whose isn't) and she doesnt have a problem. Hope that helps!

Back
Top Bottom