Need some advice on new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meegosh

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello everyone,

I haven't posted in a while... my 10gal tank has been setup and running for over a year now with great success (many thanks to AA). I am now, like most of us, wanting a bigger tank. I have a large open wall in our dining room that I would like a either a 20gal or 30gal long. My real question is what type of filter will I need for this? I have a HOB on my 10gal and that works fine. I purchased an undergravel filter and two powerheads when I first got my 10gal. I had the HOB and two powerheads in my little 10gal and the water was so choppy/bubbly it wasn't even funny. I removed the ugf and the power heads and just went with the HOB (as recommend on here).

The question is, can I use that same ugf and both powerheads in the 20 or 30gal long? Is that enough, or should I get a HOB filter?

I am going to be building the stand/enclosure myself to add some extra storage in my apartment. Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

PS - I have been looking at 30 Gal Tank Prices (thats where I saw they were using a HOB and ugf w/ powerheads). Also, I am not buying the whole kit, just the tank and lights.

I would use the undergravel and the small HOB. It'll be less work in the UGF and less chance of it getting too gunked up. Plus, the HOB/Biowheel type filters are great for that size tank and will keep it crystal clear and will be a great source of biological and mechanical filtration. I wouldn't do just the UGF.

I don't recommend the UGF. I'd stick with either just a HOB (such as an AC50 for example) or consider a small canister filter (such as a Rena XP1 or XP2).

What type of setup will you be doing, as that may help determine better recommendations. Fish, layout, planted or not, etc.

neilahn is right, i would take the UGF out all together in a tank that size, but since you said you were going to use it, that's why I suggested that plus a HOB. A Penguin 250 does great on my 29 gallon.

Hey all, thanks for the replies! I wasn't sure if I could use the powerheads/ugf or not. The only reason I asked is because I have them and are not using them. I think I will go with a HOB either AC50 or the Penguin 200.

The tank is going to be replacing my 10gal I have setup right now. It is a freshwater, no live plants. Right now the current stock would be 2 albino cories, 2 diamond tetras, and 1 guppy. Those are all the fish I have in my current setup. I used to have a few more but the last fish I bought killed half my tank :-|

Regardless, there will only be a few fish (ones mentioned above) at start up and no live plants.

Going from a 10gal to a 30gal should not be much more work should it? Besides the obvious pwcs and cleanings... ?

If you keep it lightly stocked like that, you should be fine with a Penguin HOB and your normal water changes.

Back
Top Bottom