Need some advice: Thinking of taking the plunge on a 75 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MartinBlank

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, so I have been thinking a while about taking the plunge on a 75 gallon. I have found one on Craigslist after a while of looking that is the right size and in a stand that I really like:

75 Gallon Fish Tank w/Stand

I have already talked to the seller and told him I am not really interested in the fish. They said that is fine and that they know of a LFS that will take them.

I am hoping to talk them down to 350 or 400 (perhaps just for the tank/stand/canopy). Looking at these retail, this seems like a pretty good (not great) deal (provided it is in good shape of course). Just wanted to get some input on what you guys think.

Also, do you think I need powerheads in a tank this size? Or does it depend on the stocking plan?

Right now the plan I am thinking is a lot of smaller fish.

10 White Clouds
12-15 Cardinal Tetras
10 Cory Catfish
10 Cherry Barbs
6-8 Dwarf Rainbowfish

And then perhaps some fish that can get on in smaller groups (a few Angelfish and/or a Dwarf Gourami or three.

All of that is a long ways off though. Main point is, powerhead(s) or no?

Right now I plan on going with 2 HOB filters (I was thinking AC110's, total overkill? go with AC70's instead?)

Ok, SO, summary of my main questions:

Is this a decent deal or could I do a lot better?
Powerhead(s) yes/no?

Thanks!

Going one AC110 and youll be fine, but if you want good filtration id just go one 110 and one 70 or a cannister filter depending on what you like. Fluval 405 is rated for nice filtration in a 75. Im not a huge fan of powerheads so i can help you there but i would talk them down to 400

I was more wondering if a powerhead would be recommended for that kind of stocking plan. I would guess no. Now we'll just have to see how flexible the seller is (or how desperate he/she is to get the aquarium out of his house).

Since we live in separate parts of the country I'm not sure how this compares, but I grabbed my 75 gallon with a stand, 2 Eheim canisters, UGF, heater, light, 2 air pumps, etc plus fish for $300.

Personally, if it were me, I'd yank the UGF out and throw that in the trash (actually I did that :D.) Then I'd most likely leave the HOB stuff alone and just go canister.

You mentioned AC110's. I just did some quick price checking, and the cheapest I saw has them new at ~70 bucks, so x2 is ~140 plus shipping, plus media. You could grab an Eheim classic 2215 for around $110 instead.

Thanks for the info. Definitely good to know. I definitely don't want the UGF. I will probably follow the advice of a AC 110 and AC 70. The redundancy makes me feel a bit more comfortable in that if one filter fails I still have the other (even if the 70 would be underpowered until the 110 was fixed I would still have some filtration instead of none).

It is purely a personal preference thing for me :p

And I am definitely not sold on this purchase yet. One thing it has going for it however, is that when I showed my wife the pictures, she really liked the stand it was on too :p

I would be easier for me to sell the idea of spending 400 dollars on a set up with a stand she really likes then the idea of spending 300 dollars on a setup with a stand she would not care for :D LOL

I feel you on the redundancy. I'll eventually purchase another canister to run with the one I already have for that purpose... well that and I'll need the water movement once the plants fill in.

When I bought my tank, my fiance didn't really have a say in it. I came home and told her I needed to borrow the SUV Saturday and she would need to drive my Mustang to work. She asked why, I said "oh I have a 75 gallon fish tank to bring home." However that doesn't always work :)

Back
Top Bottom