Need some advise on light set up.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigfishtoo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I have a 48" long by 24" high by 24' wide tank. I have been reading/looking about all the different light set ups available, now I need people with the experience with the aqaurium lights to help me out. I want to buy the right light to grow hard corals/soft corals mushrooms, clams, can someone out their tell me or show me there tank that is the same size and with what light you use for your tank.

thanks LES.........:confused:

I have a VHO set up and I can have soft, LPS and some SPS corals. I also have a squamosa clam. I just love the color of a VHO set up. As Lindsay said if you want to have them all then you`ll want a MH system. You can check out my gallery and see what type corals will do good with VHO system. Here is my lighting system with 2 super actinics and 2 50/50 lights.

100_0972.jpg

100_0975.jpg

thanks for some help, is their anyone out there that has a 120 gallon short tank with lights. Right now I have 4 vho 110 watt each and looking to install four more 110 watt bulbs for a total of 880 watts for this 120 gallon tank. But I wanted to find out if anyone has this type of set up already and buy using VHO vs MH is there a big difference in heat.

thanks les......:)

As cmor mentioned, for a 24" deep tank, you want 250 at least if you are going with MH. The is a huge different in both PAR and heat between MH and VHO. MH has way more PAR and also puts out way more heat. You get the least light penetration thru the water with reg flourescents, more with compact flourescent, then VHO, good penetration with T5HO and the best is MH.
It really comes down to what you ultimately want to keep. If you want to be able to get anything and not worry, go with MH. If you want to save a few $$, add to your VHO's and you should be good for almost anything.

Thanks for the information, this site is great with all the information needed to help a person out, now a days. The prices on lights are going out of this world and you need good information or it will cost you big time. I wish I could go to a site and pic out tank size and animals I want, push a button or hit enter and bingo all the need information just for that size tank. again thanks

Les........

Back
Top Bottom