Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-25-2011, 01:38 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Need some answers on heaters and aquarium lighting.

I was looking for some answers on aquarium heaters, Where they should be placed (refugium/sump or in tank)? How many I need for a 120 gallon aquarium? How about lighting do you suggest LEDs I found one on LEDWholesalers.com says for aquariums, pretty inexpensive for the price 349.99, Do you think that would do? Would appreciate the help very much, just getting started in the hobby and trying to get thinkgs right the first time. Thanks

Old 04-25-2011, 01:47 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Heaters can be placed in sumps to be hidden. For amount of heaters, you should get at least enough to match your tank. I believe marineland's visi-therm heater is rated 300w for 100g. Also, if the room of the tank gets pretty cold, you might need a stronger heater since it'll be harder to maintain a water temperature of 78 in a 76 degrees room compared to a 50 degrees room

Old 04-25-2011, 03:57 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

As far as LEDs, count the number and type that make up the fixture. They need to be at least 1 watt for each LED and a mixture of white and blue if coral growth is what you want. Most panels big enough to equal a 300-400 watt metal halide needs 120-150 1 watt LEDs in the panel. Fewer if the new 3 watt LEDs are used. They get hot collectively and need a proper heat sink. Think computer gear rather than conventional lights, as they draw far less power and project far less heat into the water. But they usually require fans if they have the proper amount of PAR output.

In my humble opinion, fluorescents are fine for smaller tanks that are shallower, but metal halide is usually needed to get a high PAR rating in a deep tank for coral growth. LEDs can do both jobs, light a small tank without heat buildup and when properly ganged up with enough total wattage, provide brilliant light to the very bottom of even a deep tank. They are not more expensive when you compare the life span of a LED to even a florescent high output lamp. They blow away metal halide as they cost $80 apiece and rarely last a year. They are the future of lighting in general.

I now sound like a LED salesman...
Old 04-25-2011, 09:04 AM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Moved to General Hardware and equipment discussion.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:27 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks
Old 04-26-2011, 06:58 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Rambo,

Here is some good info on LED.

There is a comparison of MH vs LED. I used this when I was looking and deciding what to buy.

Orphek | superior led lighting

Tags
aquarium lighting, eat, eater, heaters, light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com