Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 01-10-2018, 03:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 4
Need some expert advice on Aqueon 65 gallon tank

I just purchased a Aqueon 65 gallon tank from petsmart last Thursday. I filled the tank up Friday half way to check for leaks over night. Saturday no leaks tank looks good. Fill the tank up the rest of the way only to find small bubbles appearing in all four seams of my tank. I called and sent Aqueon a email on the matter and they are telling me the tank is perfectly fine and that this is very common and will have no effects on the Integrity of the tank. I have had 8 tanks over the years and I have never noticed this to be a issue with any other tank. If you let the water back out the tank looks perfect and you can not see any of the bubbles. Aqueon is telling me the water is pushing out on the glass and spreads making the bubbles Visible. Im just not sure if this is indeed normal or something I should be concerned about. I have went to some other pet stores to look at different tanks and when I push out on the glass all of them make these bubbles appear. I spent some time making sure the tank is 100% level in every direction. Looking for advice and feedback. Thanks in advance.

Also most of the bubbles in the seam are near the middle of the seam in all four corners
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B90D5F0D-9B8A-4804-AB84-AA0DF5657D28.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	198.5 KB
ID:	306149   Click image for larger version

Name:	C502B290-EE81-444F-912B-A57F99A22EEA.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	177.3 KB
ID:	306150  

Click image for larger version

Name:	AFBF3DD0-186B-4155-9CEC-46EF07F4FF86.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	183.6 KB
ID:	306151  
__________________

__________________
Ragincajun92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:36 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 4
I guess more or less what I asking is do any of you guys have these same seam issues and if so did you live with it or take it back.
__________________

__________________
Ragincajun92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 05:33 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
agrasyuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: NW Chicago Burbs
Posts: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragincajun92 View Post
I guess more or less what I asking is do any of you guys have these same seam issues and if so did you live with it or take it back.
it looks like it might be air actually -air trapped between the bond bead that holds the glass together and the sealing bead that was applied after the tank got assembled and the first bead dried.

would I be OK with that. TBH that one is a hard to answer...
it looks like it is ok, it probably is ok. not sure if I would be exchanging though. sorry I'm not really answering your question.
__________________
Anton.

125 Gallon , 55 Gallon
agrasyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 06:02 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Angellove78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Hart,mi.
Posts: 1,649
I'd take it back. Air in a caulk seam when it's gonna hold pressure of water weight (that you want to last a long time) will probably not last as long as it should and could. It could be a different type of caulk that they used, could be they seller it on the outside first then the inside, Double the layer, glass could be cut crappy. Either way, I would take it back. If you think you can't take it back. Just tell them it was a X-mas gift and your not happy with it. Show them the pictures. You are already unhappy about it. I wouldn't even ask. I'd tell them, setting it up was a waste of your time, waste of water, and so on. Talk to a manager. But that's just what I'd do.
__________________
Angellove78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 06:03 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
IHaveAquariums's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Ohio
Posts: 328
I'd take it back just to be on the safe side, if it is air on the inside it means the seals aren't the greatest because of the trapped air. Maybe coralbandit can chime in on this, he knows a lot about this sort of thing
__________________
IHaveAquariums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 06:06 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
V227's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,279
RC
I have never had a tank corner seal ever bubble up like that. The last tank I bought was a Marineland, also from Petsmart; no bubbles. If you're not happy with it, being it back. No sense having to worry about a brand new tank.
__________________
V227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:02 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 4
So i emailed aqueon and sent pictures. This is the response i got back.

Hello Brandon,



Thanks for the email! After viewing your photos, what your seeing is not uncommon and poses no threat to the integrity of the tank.



When tanks this size are put together at the seam, the silicone pushes together and squishes out. As it dries, air bubbles may form inside the actual seam and stretch out. If tiny enough they may not be noticeable until water is added to the tank and water pressure pushes on the glass panels stretching them a bit. This is not something that will have any effect on the integrity of the tank. Most all of the larger tanks do have this happen to them, as the glass gets heavier and the maneuverability during construction gets more difficult. It can also depend on the climate on the individual day that this run of tanks were built. Moisture in the air can affect this process as well. The silicone is designed to have some stretch otherwise if the tank was glued using a ridged adhesive and gets jostled sideways at all, the seam would break away. The elasticity of the silicone prevents that from happening and maintains the water tight seal all at the same time. These bubbles can have several different “looks” and are not uncommon and pose no threat to the integrity of the tank.





Sincerely,

Josh



Central Garden and Pet Aquatic and Small Animal

Technical Services/Warranty Associate

800-255-4527

5401 W Oakwood Park Dr

Franklin, WI 53132
__________________
Ragincajun92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:27 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
V227's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,279
Print out your E-mail, hold on to the warranty. I just checked out the seals on my 19 y.o. 65 gal. Oceanic tank. No bubbles.
__________________
V227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:35 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Brookster123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Mass
Posts: 19,167
I have an aqueon 65 and it's not looking like that. While it may not be an issue.. It is an issue. You're not happy with the product and this guy even says it varies month to month season to season? Get a replacement so it doesn't drive you nuts.
Ps- not to be a smart ***.. They obviously have a climate controlled assembly warehouse. Yes silicone can vary in set-up/curing times based on temp and rh. In a climate controlled environment the only excuse for this is a rushed departure into a far different environment a.k.a. poor quality control a.k.a. give me a new tank slackers...
__________________
I'm not really here... fell in the tank and my phone is just that smart
Brookster123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:41 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Angellove78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Hart,mi.
Posts: 1,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragincajun92 View Post
So i emailed aqueon and sent pictures. This is the response i got back.

Hello Brandon,



Thanks for the email! After viewing your photos, what your seeing is not uncommon and poses no threat to the integrity of the tank.



When tanks this size are put together at the seam, the silicone pushes together and squishes out. As it dries, air bubbles may form inside the actual seam and stretch out. If tiny enough they may not be noticeable until water is added to the tank and water pressure pushes on the glass panels stretching them a bit. This is not something that will have any effect on the integrity of the tank. Most all of the larger tanks do have this happen to them, as the glass gets heavier and the maneuverability during construction gets more difficult. It can also depend on the climate on the individual day that this run of tanks were built. Moisture in the air can affect this process as well. The silicone is designed to have some stretch otherwise if the tank was glued using a ridged adhesive and gets jostled sideways at all, the seam would break away. The elasticity of the silicone prevents that from happening and maintains the water tight seal all at the same time. These bubbles can have several different looks and are not uncommon and pose no threat to the integrity of the tank.





Sincerely,

Josh



Central Garden and Pet Aquatic and Small Animal

Technical Services/Warranty Associate

800-255-4527

5401 W Oakwood Park Dr

Franklin, WI 53132
Dear Josh, I would like a refund on this tank so I can invest in a better quality one. I would appreciate it if you would refer me to a higher up person of management to settle this if you are not able too. I am a very unsatisfied customer with your product. Thank you for your time and information. Sincerely, unsatisfied customer!
__________________
Angellove78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:40 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
agrasyuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: NW Chicago Burbs
Posts: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angellove78 View Post
Dear Josh, I would like a refund on this tank so I can invest in a better quality one. I would appreciate it if you would refer me to a higher up person of management to settle this if you are not able too. I am a very unsatisfied customer with your product. Thank you for your time and information. Sincerely, unsatisfied customer!
Why on earth would he need to do that if he can just get refund from the store any day?
__________________
agrasyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:52 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Angellove78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Hart,mi.
Posts: 1,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by agrasyuk View Post
Why on earth would he need to do that if he can just get refund from the store any day?
I don't know, he's the one emailing them. I think he should just take it back too.
__________________
Angellove78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:55 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
coralbandit's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Saratoga,NY
Posts: 6,916
I think the seam is weaker ?
Less silicone in contact with glass where there is air equals less adhesion IMO.. Weaker seams.. Warranty is only a year I think? silicone should last 20+...I would seek other 'professional' opinions and try for exchange...
I think Brook nailed it.. Many argue about cure times but most tanks I have bought brand new have been at least 90 days old.. They used to let the tanks cure properly.. Not so sure that is how this works anymore ?
__________________
Mr.bandit is my YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcS...zPAhmB9QK0UvMA
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...er&Coralbandit
^^These are my weekly sales^^ GOT RAMS ???
coralbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:02 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
agrasyuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: NW Chicago Burbs
Posts: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angellove78 View Post
I don't know, he's the one emailing them. I think he should just take it back too.
He is emailing them with technical question regarding specific doubt about the product. He does it to have more information so he can make a better informed decision whether to go keep or not. His question has nothing to do with customer support or terms of the returns as that would be a job of retailer. There is no need to always do the "I'm the oh so not satisfied customer here" dance, especially when discussing technical matters.
__________________
agrasyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:43 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Angellove78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Hart,mi.
Posts: 1,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by agrasyuk View Post
He is emailing them with technical question regarding specific doubt about the product. He does it to have more information so he can make a better informed decision whether to go keep or not. His question has nothing to do with customer support or terms of the returns as that would be a job of retailer. There is no need to always do the "I'm the oh so not satisfied customer here" dance, especially when discussing technical matters.
OH!, Soooo, sorry. Didn't realize. He side he didn't know if he could take it back. Thought he might of had it shipped or something. Thanks for clearing that up for me. Hope everything works out.
__________________
Angellove78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 02:56 PM   #16
Macro Addict
 
54seaweed's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 7,808
I had a 20long that did the very same thing from the buck gal sale , I didn't think those bubbles would ever go away ,

I was told to empty out the tank run a hair dryer up and down the seam than use a wet sponge to compress the seal that should release any air bubbles between the seal .

it worked but still theirs no reason why anyone should have to spend time fixing a factory error

you spend good money on something you should get a good quality product that you don't have to deal with any of that mess,
__________________

__________________
Save
54seaweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
5 gallon, 65 gallon, advice, aqueon, gallon, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need some Expert Lighting Advice Please! LiQuiD Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 36 07-08-2015 08:52 AM
*PIC HEAVY* Crypt problem... Need some expert advice please. philipraposo198 Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 6 03-01-2015 01:33 AM
Need Some Expert Advice GodFan Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 1 11-15-2013 10:30 AM
Need some "expert" advice hsherman1986 Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 13 07-10-2006 02:55 PM
Need Some Expert advice on my tank im considering! d9hp Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 9 10-28-2002 11:35 PM







» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×