Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-10-2018, 02:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Need some expert advice on Aqueon 65 gallon tank

I just purchased a Aqueon 65 gallon tank from petsmart last Thursday. I filled the tank up Friday half way to check for leaks over night. Saturday no leaks tank looks good. Fill the tank up the rest of the way only to find small bubbles appearing in all four seams of my tank. I called and sent Aqueon a email on the matter and they are telling me the tank is perfectly fine and that this is very common and will have no effects on the Integrity of the tank. I have had 8 tanks over the years and I have never noticed this to be a issue with any other tank. If you let the water back out the tank looks perfect and you can not see any of the bubbles. Aqueon is telling me the water is pushing out on the glass and spreads making the bubbles Visible. Iím just not sure if this is indeed normal or something I should be concerned about. I have went to some other pet stores to look at different tanks and when I push out on the glass all of them make these bubbles appear. I spent some time making sure the tank is 100% level in every direction. Looking for advice and feedback. Thanks in advance.

Also most of the bubbles in the seam are near the middle of the seam in all four corners
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B90D5F0D-9B8A-4804-AB84-AA0DF5657D28.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	198.5 KB
ID:	306149   Click image for larger version

Name:	C502B290-EE81-444F-912B-A57F99A22EEA.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	177.3 KB
ID:	306150  

Click image for larger version

Name:	AFBF3DD0-186B-4155-9CEC-46EF07F4FF86.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	183.6 KB
ID:	306151  

Old 01-10-2018, 03:36 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I guess more or less what I asking is do any of you guys have these same seam issues and if so did you live with it or take it back.

Old 01-10-2018, 04:33 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragincajun92 View Post
I guess more or less what I asking is do any of you guys have these same seam issues and if so did you live with it or take it back.
it looks like it might be air actually -air trapped between the bond bead that holds the glass together and the sealing bead that was applied after the tank got assembled and the first bead dried.

would I be OK with that. TBH that one is a hard to answer...
it looks like it is ok, it probably is ok. not sure if I would be exchanging though. sorry I'm not really answering your question.

125 Gallon , 55 Gallon
agrasyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 05:02 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd take it back. Air in a caulk seam when it's gonna hold pressure of water weight (that you want to last a long time) will probably not last as long as it should and could. It could be a different type of caulk that they used, could be they seller it on the outside first then the inside, Double the layer, glass could be cut crappy. Either way, I would take it back. If you think you can't take it back. Just tell them it was a X-mas gift and your not happy with it. Show them the pictures. You are already unhappy about it. I wouldn't even ask. I'd tell them, setting it up was a waste of your time, waste of water, and so on. Talk to a manager. But that's just what I'd do.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:03 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'd take it back just to be on the safe side, if it is air on the inside it means the seals aren't the greatest because of the trapped air. Maybe coralbandit can chime in on this, he knows a lot about this sort of thing
Old 01-10-2018, 05:06 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

RC
I have never had a tank corner seal ever bubble up like that. The last tank I bought was a Marineland, also from Petsmart; no bubbles. If you're not happy with it, being it back. No sense having to worry about a brand new tank.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:02 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

So i emailed aqueon and sent pictures. This is the response i got back.

Hello Brandon,

Thanks for the email! After viewing your photos, what your seeing is not uncommon and poses no threat to the integrity of the tank.

When tanks this size are put together at the seam, the silicone pushes together and squishes out. As it dries, air bubbles may form inside the actual seam and stretch out. If tiny enough they may not be noticeable until water is added to the tank and water pressure pushes on the glass panels stretching them a bit. This is not something that will have any effect on the integrity of the tank. Most all of the larger tanks do have this happen to them, as the glass gets heavier and the maneuverability during construction gets more difficult. It can also depend on the climate on the individual day that this run of tanks were built. Moisture in the air can affect this process as well. The silicone is designed to have some stretch otherwise if the tank was glued using a ridged adhesive and gets jostled sideways at all, the seam would break away. The elasticity of the silicone prevents that from happening and maintains the water tight seal all at the same time. These bubbles can have several different “looks” and are not uncommon and pose no threat to the integrity of the tank.

Sincerely,

Josh

Central Garden and Pet Aquatic and Small Animal

Technical Services/Warranty Associate

800-255-4527

5401 W Oakwood Park Dr

Franklin, WI 53132
Old 01-10-2018, 06:27 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Print out your E-mail, hold on to the warranty. I just checked out the seals on my 19 y.o. 65 gal. Oceanic tank. No bubbles.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:35 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have an aqueon 65 and it's not looking like that. While it may not be an issue.. It is an issue. You're not happy with the product and this guy even says it varies month to month season to season? Get a replacement so it doesn't drive you nuts.
Ps- not to be a smart ***.. They obviously have a climate controlled assembly warehouse. Yes silicone can vary in set-up/curing times based on temp and rh. In a climate controlled environment the only excuse for this is a rushed departure into a far different environment a.k.a. poor quality control a.k.a. give me a new tank slackers...
Old 01-10-2018, 06:41 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragincajun92 View Post
So i emailed aqueon and sent pictures. This is the response i got back.

Hello Brandon,

Thanks for the email! After viewing your photos, what your seeing is not uncommon and poses no threat to the integrity of the tank.

When tanks this size are put together at the seam, the silicone pushes together and squishes out. As it dries, air bubbles may form inside the actual seam and stretch out. If tiny enough they may not be noticeable until water is added to the tank and water pressure pushes on the glass panels stretching them a bit. This is not something that will have any effect on the integrity of the tank. Most all of the larger tanks do have this happen to them, as the glass gets heavier and the maneuverability during construction gets more difficult. It can also depend on the climate on the individual day that this run of tanks were built. Moisture in the air can affect this process as well. The silicone is designed to have some stretch otherwise if the tank was glued using a ridged adhesive and gets jostled sideways at all, the seam would break away. The elasticity of the silicone prevents that from happening and maintains the water tight seal all at the same time. These bubbles can have several different ďlooksĒ and are not uncommon and pose no threat to the integrity of the tank.

Sincerely,

Josh

Central Garden and Pet Aquatic and Small Animal

Technical Services/Warranty Associate

800-255-4527

5401 W Oakwood Park Dr

Franklin, WI 53132
Dear Josh, I would like a refund on this tank so I can invest in a better quality one. I would appreciate it if you would refer me to a higher up person of management to settle this if you are not able too. I am a very unsatisfied customer with your product. Thank you for your time and information. Sincerely, unsatisfied customer!

Tags
5 gallon, 65 gallon, advice, aqueon, gallon, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com