Need some help completing my Saltwater tank on a budget. Pictures-

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Red5

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I have this 75 gallon tank. I've already mixed in the salt and such and it has been about 30 days since I've done this. The tank sits above a 4o gallon freshwater tank. I currently have a fluval 304 filter. BUT- it cracked on the latch area of the bowl so now I guess I need to either buy another filter, fix this one, or design one using a 15 gallon spare tank I have.

What would you suggest? My plans for the tank are to put a few fish in it and some live rock. I'd also like a see anenomy or three. (sp?)

Questions:
1. What is the m ost cost effective way of filtering this tank?
2. I have normal lights that were used ona fresh water tank, will these work?
3. Check out the rocks I have in the tank, are these type rocks ok to use in salt water?
4. I have two power pumps that hook into a self build circle of PVC below the coral rock, these keep the water flowing in circles. Is this too much water movement?

I'm getting back into salt water after having had a tank when I was a teenager. Looking for good ideas. But with the economy the way it is I' need to keep spending to a minimum. (soon to change)

5. Can I keep plastick plants in a saltwater tank?

Thanks for any help you provide.

img_1006864_0_02cf66f7c75331833252380c862f4767.jpg

img_1006864_1_81d8c7f05bcbd78f2c9dd809bcc73448.jpg

img_1006864_2_326f7b3390b40ce82a73c06956171073.jpg

Questions:
1. What is the m ost cost effective way of filtering this tank?
2. I have normal lights that were used ona fresh water tank, will these work?
3. Check out the rocks I have in the tank, are these type rocks ok to use in salt water?
4. I have two power pumps that hook into a self build circle of PVC below the coral rock, these keep the water flowing in circles. Is this too much water movement?

1. IMO, the most cost effective filtering for the long run, would be to buy a skimmer box (overflow) and convert your freshwater tank below into a sump. put a skimmer, some live rock rubble, and a return pump in it. I like your idea of an under-gravel powerhead system. That will help with filtration as well. The more liverock you have in your tank + the more water flow you have, the better your biological filtration will be.
2. The lights you have will work fine if your going to just do fish only with live rock (FOWLR) Just don't expect to be able to keep many corals.
3. It's hard to tell exactly which type of rock those are. sorry.
4. No that is not too much water movement, you'll likely want more than that once you get some more live rock in the tank (if that's the route you decide to tank)

there are many ways to setup and maintain a saltwater system. good luck.

1. IMO, the most cost effective filtering for the long run, would be to buy a skimmer box (overflow) and convert your freshwater tank below into a sump. put a skimmer, some live rock rubble, and a return pump in it. I like your idea of an under-gravel powerhead system. That will help with filtration as well. The more liverock you have in your tank + the more water flow you have, the better your biological filtration will be.

I'd rather not drill holes inthe tank. But I like the idea of a "Sump"- I'll do some more research in that direction. If I have an extra 15 gallong tank laying around wouldn't that make a better sump?

Liverock- Where can I buy some at a good price? Is it pretty much all the same?

Skimmer box. This is a new one on me. Is it part of the sump?

I have gotten all of my live rock from craigslist for a fraction of what it would cost me at the LFS. I don't have any mantis shrimp or pistol shrimp surprises either. I usually get a lot of hitchhikers on my rock snails, hermit crabs, coral, feather dusters, star fish and a nasty little surprise of aptasia which I pretty much have under control.

You can get several styles of skimmers just google it. The skimmer tanks the proteins out of the water.

Red you can save money on rock by doing a combo of base rock (marcorock.com) 75% to 25% of LR.
A skimmer takes out the DOCs from the water. Lots of folks use them and it is a piece of equipment you don't not want to skimp on/ ASM, auqaC remora and octopus aree some of the brands that are better. You can get an insump one, or HOB.
It is a personal preference if you want one or not. I don't use them.

yes you should probably get more rock. the rule is gennerally 1-1.5 pounds of live rock per gallon of water so thats: 75-112 punds of rock for your tank i think

but get base rock because its cheaper

I have mor elive rock on the way. I'll put some in the filter. What do you mean by replace the media with live rock? Media?

I've also hooked up a large filter over the back. I figured that with the two blowers shoud move enough water. I'll buy a skimmer later on.

My current salt reading is 1.0225 is this good enough to support fish? Should I also through a couple dead shrimp inthe tank from the food mart?

I'd rather not torture my first inhabitants. ;)

salt reading is good.
has the cycle finished yet?
and you wil definitely need a skimmer later on. go with reef octopus, trust me.

I meant take out the filter media that's in the filter now. With your live rock, you are almost garrunteed to get broken off pieces. Stick those in the compartment where the media was. Bump the sg up to 1.026. ;)

We now have FISH! And they seem to be living. ;) (good sign) Although my anenome (sp) seems to schrible up over night and come out during the day.

Question- How importnant is lighting? And do you think this light is a good deal-
Pet Supplies for Dogs, Cats, Aquarium Fish, and more - CURRENT USA - 24" SATELLITE 65W SMARTPAQ PC STRIP W/LUNAR LIGHT

I can buy a used one for $40 from a local guy. But I don't know how many hours are on it. What would it cost to replace the bulbs? Are these bulbs replacable?

We now have FISH! And they seem to be living. ;) (good sign) Although my anenome (sp) seems to schrible up over night and come out during the day.

Question- How importnant is lighting? And do you think this light is a good deal-
Pet Supplies for Dogs, Cats, Aquarium Fish, and more - CURRENT USA - 24" SATELLITE 65W SMARTPAQ PC STRIP W/LUNAR LIGHT

I can buy a used one for $40 from a local guy. But I don't know how many hours are on it. What would it cost to replace the bulbs? Are these bulbs replacable?

How long has the tank been running and has it cycled? How much LR do you have in there?

Lighting is crucial and extremely important especially for corals and anemones...

How long has the tank been running and has it cycled? How much LR do you have in there?

Lighting is crucial and extremely important especially for corals and anemones...

About 50 days. About 70 pounds. Regular floresent lighting.

Did you look at the link I provided? How much are replacement bulbs for this type of light?

About 50 days. About 70 pounds. Regular floresent lighting.

Did you look at the link I provided? How much are replacement bulbs for this type of light?

I just looked at the link. Im not a pro at lighting but I don't think that particular one would cut it for coral and anemones. What you have no definitely is no good for the anemone though. Lets see what more of the pros have to say when it comes to lighting. Im worried about the anemone though.

That light will work for softies and some LPS but NOT anemones. I suggest that you take the anemone back to your lfs immediately. You will need T5 HO minimum for an anemone. Metal halide is the best option for lighting you can get.

yeah anemones need lots of light. so as thom said, you would need T5 or Metal Halide, but the lights that you have in mind will not work.

Back
Top Bottom