Need some help with my overflow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ian14

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got a 265 gallon tank with a 90 gallon some on craigslist. It has four holes drilled across the bottom so I planned on having two overflow and two for returns.

After going around finding different connections and pipes that would work I hooked up the two overflow, put the pump in the sump and just put the hose over top and into the tank because the returns weren't set up yet. Turns out my two overflows can't even keep up with my 1200 gph pump. The threaded bulkhead fits a male 1 inch pipe. There are two elbows for each overflow line and they fit the threaded 1 inch pipe. It gets pretty tight inside the elbows probably not even an inch inside diameter.

I was going to get an adapter to screw in the bulkhead in the tank to allow me to put on a 1.25 or 1.5 inch pipe for the actual overflow inside the tank. The width inside the bulkhead is just about an inch, so even if I find adapters that fit and make the pipes and elbows bigger would it really help that much since the the bulkhead is still cutting it down to one inch

What I plan on doing is just to hook up another overflow. Does anyone have any suggestions towards increasing my flow?

I will put up pictures in a moment

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393968302.912340.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393968315.842631.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393968339.005170.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393968353.923131.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Wow ian, thats alot of water and alot of work. It sounds like a huge overkill. Anyways you can get a smaller pump? Are you returning this water or just dumping it? Might be more water concious as well. 1200 gallons per hour is ALOT of water to just dump down the drain, if your running thru filter and returing it id say no problem. I just dont want you to get a 200 dollar water bill next month. Why don't you just get a smaller pump and setup a homemade filter box, with carbon and floss and sand and bio spoonges, and return the water. No fish needs that clean of water. lol

Im running it through the sump and pumping it back in the tank

Sent from my XT1080 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I also have a tank with a sump (although my top tank is the 90 lol). If I were looking to increase the capacity up top I would replace the overflow with a more robust one with larger capacity. Or maybe you're right and you just need to add another one.

I have a Lifereef overflow. They make some nice ones that can accommodate a lot of GPH - the double model. prefilter box, siphon box, overflow box, siphon overflow, Eurobrace, Euro-brace, Euro-tank

I would add a SCWD to split your output, it will alternate between the two outputs and use up some energy. Also a "T" fitting and a ball valve after the pump to drain excess back to the sump will let you adjust your output. I used 2" PVC pipe for the overflows as this is what fit my bulkheads and believe it could handle 5000 PH. IMO you should re plum your overflows with PVC pipe as large as your bulkhead. Good luck!

Are those white things under the bulkheads check valves? If so that could your issue right there.

No, they are unions. I am unfamiliar with Scwd

If you have 4 holes drilled in the bottom, you could use all 4 for drains and come over the top with return(s). In the first picture you posted with the pipe sticking up with teflon tape on it, is that staying that way? If so, when the power goes out, the tank will drain all the way to that pipe before it stops.
I would remove all elbows from the drains. Straight pipes will increase the flow.

It isn't staying that way, once it all ready I'll raise it up in the tank

Back
Top Bottom