Need some input on a Sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carey

Aquarium Advice Addict
I found this item while surfing CL. He's been trying to sell it for $250 for the last 2 months and dropped his price to $125.

AQUARIUM wet/dry sump

I just don't understand the layout? How do you have bioballs in the middle? And is that an external return pump with a shut off valve on the right? cause that looks very cool. it's huge but luckily it will fit under my stand. I wanted to have a refugium and this looks like it might work for that if I moved the bioballs over to the left...or is that where the skimmer goes? LOL

See, I have no idea.

check it out and tell me what you guys think

Thanks!!

That is an external pump I personally would put live sand and rock where the bio balls are assuming there is enough room for the skimmer in the first section

I was thinking making it a refugium if theres enough room. that would be my perfect setup. But I'm just not sure how the water comes in that first chamber and get to the second, does the skimmer if it's in the first section pump into the second section? Or is it like regular physics and water rising?

It looks like there is a bulkhead where the water comes into the first chamber you can see it in the third picture on the left side. My experience with skimmers (which is very little) you can have it pump into the second chamber but moost likely most of the water flow through the sump will be just water simply overflowing

Thanks so much! I'm really new to sumps. I appreciate the responses. :-D

Would you buy it for a 125g reef tank? If you were strapped for cash that is...lol

Well mine was a diy sump that is real similar to that design in a 29 gallon tank and with the pump it cost me about $200 dollars to build So it sounds to me like a good deal. With the 3000 gph pump that it comes with I think it would be sufficient for a 125 gallon tank. Does you tank have built in overflows?

Ah cool thats a plus That way you are not trying to get one or build one. Drilling your tank would be best but if you are like me I didnt want to chance breaking it

I also have a chip in the glass corner so i don't wanna risk any extra pressures or jinx that it's holding water. LOL

It's been full since Friday and not a drip has come out of it. Also looks like there is no bowing on either support beam. I think I may be ok.

SOOOO, I was thinking of keeping the water in it til I get s sump and then trying to figure it out in the garage in case I have a flood. I have no idea what I'm doing. Or am I making too much work for myself? How hard is it to setup and then dis assemble?

There is a little bit of work to it but I dont think it is anything to complicated Since it does come with all the hoses it will make it alot easier worst case you may have to change the lenght of them and they look like they are flexible pvc which is real easy to do

Back
Top Bottom