Need thoughts on right LED setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

just me

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Changing over my standard 125 G from MH/T5 to Led.

Right now the tank is FOWLR, growing mostly aptasia and 1 shroom that survived the reef-pocalypse when I got slack. It's slowly but surely cleaning up, thanks to Igor the file fish, and at some point I want to get corals back. Not sure if I'm responsible enough for SPS but zoos, shrooms and other more forgivings for sure.

Tell me what Led systems you would use and why. You don't have to pretend your talking to an idiot - I'm telling you I'm pretty much clueless!

Thanks!

Read the lighting best bang for your buck forum, it will answer all your questions.

I have a sinking feeling it'll be approaching $1k. Not seeing that I'll need to cover all 72 inches of length, so wondering how many of what to use.

Not seeing a forum by that title, nor a thread on the first 2 pages. Can you link me?

Ouch! 120+ pages! Did I mention I have a day job, a husband and 13 dogs, most special needs? Not much free time.

Just a quicky oppinion question before I start delving: The thread ended in Feb of 13. Seems LEDs have been changing in leaps and bounds over very short periods of time. Are all or most in agreement that the 1 year old information is still current?

Moving on to page 2 of the thread!

Though the thread died down in the last few months, there is still fresh messages being posted.

As far as these chinese LEDs go, they have received very good reviews, and are still going strong. The only new iteration of these panels is the full spectrum version. Both the blue\white and full spectrum will grow anything you want. It just comes down to the color preference. For $150 per light fixture, they really save $ in the wallet.

Though the thread died down in the last few months, there is still fresh messages being posted.

As far as these chinese LEDs go, they have received very good reviews, and are still going strong. The only new iteration of these panels is the full spectrum version. Both the blue\white and full spectrum will grow anything you want. It just comes down to the color preference. For $150 per light fixture, they really save $ in the wallet.

Because it is SOOO far past my bedtime right now: currently looking at the chinese ones. Would you do 3 or 4 for a 72 inch length?

moving to page 3 now...

3 for sure. These fixtures cover a 24" x 24" square area. 3 would be ideal for you. Not sure how far you've gotten in the thread, but these fixtures have dimmable nobs, so you will need timers.

3 for sure. These fixtures cover a 24" x 24" square area. 3 would be ideal for you. Not sure how far you've gotten in the thread, but these fixtures have dimmable nobs, so you will need timers.

Amazon's got a free timer with purchase. Breaking out the Bill Me Later as we speak. I get 30 days to return, so if I moved too quick, I can always get my money back.

Thanks for being there!

Amazon's got a free timer with purchase. Breaking out the Bill Me Later as we speak. I get 30 days to return, so if I moved too quick, I can always get my money back.

Thanks for being there!

Oh wow nice. Do you have a link for the one you bought? Curious to see how they are on Amazon.

Moderator has to approve my links, so look for it tomorrow!

I run 2 160 watt Razors on my 125, very happy with them, well made in the US. About $900 for 2 of them

http://maxspectusa.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=20&Itemid=21

URL=http://s282.photobucket.com/user/Holygral/media/IMG_3228_zps37af9f08.jpg.html]
img_2779336_0_70024e2cfb6973f9fec2ff5360b22183.jpg
[/URL

I run 2 160 watt Razors on my 125, very happy with them, well made in the US. About $900 for 2 of them

R420r LED Lighting System

URL=http://s282.photobucket.com/user/Holygral/media/IMG_3228_zps37af9f08.jpg.html]
img_2780604_0_70024e2cfb6973f9fec2ff5360b22183.jpg
[/URL

I saw the Razor at a LFS, yesterday as a matter of fact. Store owner said a new and larger one was out. Specs for it and for the chinese one I ordered are nearly identical. Actually the main differences being the Razor was prettier and lighter weight, and 3 times the cost of a chinese one. I went for cheaper. I could use the exercise lifting!

Considering LEDs last 10 years, I'll pay more money for high quality American made vs cheap Chinese made, there are many post of cheap Chinese made lights bringing broken after 6 months or being opened up at a year and be completly rusted. You get what you pay for in LEDs, skimmers and rodi units, but that's just my opinion.

Considering LEDs last 10 years, I'll pay more money for high quality American made vs cheap Chinese made, there are many post of cheap Chinese made lights bringing broken after 6 months or being opened up at a year and be completly rusted. You get what you pay for in LEDs, skimmers and rodi units, but that's just my opinion.

Can you please provide info on these panels breaking down after 6 months-year?

Reviews on this forum, RC,R2R, and various others are strongly proving otherwise. There do seem to be a few cases where the panel does break down early, but the rate is quite low. Extremely low enough where the gamble so to speak is clearly coming out in the hobbyists favor.

The performance of these lights when measured in PAR is meeting or exceeding that of the more expensive "quality" panels. I've measured and compared the PAR numbers myself as I have 3 radions hanging on my larger DT in addition to a Chinese panel over my 60g cube. Had I known then what I do now, I would not have purchased the radions and went with the cheaper chinese panels. In the end, at least for me, the extras that many of the more expensive and quality fixtures provide do not justify their ridiculous price tag.

It's just like plane crashes....you only hear about the few that crash, not the thousands that landed safely. There's nothing wrong with these Tao panels. Do you think the other units are rust proof? They don't do anything out of the ordinary to make them so.

Back
Top Bottom