Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-08-2003, 03:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to dash_0210
needs help with power filters

im new to power filters..and planning to buy one..there are 2 design variations that i see on the store regarding the orientation of the motor.the first one a submersed power head pushing water up to the filter box the other is a motor that sits next to the filter box..which of the 2 is better??

Old 07-08-2003, 07:23 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

It depends on your tank...if you want space buy the one that sits next to the filter box. IMO, i think the totally submerged one is better because it is sure to cause some rippling effect on the surface thus created more oxygen for the fish

Old 07-08-2003, 11:19 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
I'm missing something here. Can you give the brand/model of the filters you're looking at? IMO, the best HOB (hang on back) filters for freshwater are the Emperor 280 and 400. They are easy to maintain, do a good job, and are unbelieveably dependable. They also have media containers so you can run activated carbon, synthetic resin, ect... in addition to the filter cartridge. If you prefer the hang on canister, look at the HOT Magnum. Be sure to use it with a bio wheel if you go that route because this filter doesn't have good bio capacity by itself. The Whisper HOB filters are good also, but IMO, a distant second to the Emperors. What size tank do you have?
Old 07-09-2003, 01:55 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to wabyrd
I have to second the Emperor filters. I have two Emperor 280s on my 55 gallon and the tank and filters are a breeze to maintain!
wabyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 01:59 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

If it's small (IE like 10-29 gallons) I think a bio-wheel (same company as emperor) woul be awesome. Just don't get a whisper, as I had horrible luck with mine and the bio-wheel was a Godsend.
Old 07-09-2003, 04:37 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Penguin 125 is the small marineland filter. It is also good.
Old 07-11-2003, 02:13 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

I just picked up the magnum 350 pro from petsmart. they had a great price and so far it has been great. really quiet and setup the filter materials. the only problem I had was setting up when you have to cut tubing and make sure everything is properly connected... read the directions carefully and make sure that the tube that goes to the bio wheels is the same length as the in tank jet... anyway good luck with you decesion.
Old 07-11-2003, 07:55 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Love my Emporer 400s
Old 07-11-2003, 01:20 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I forgot to mention my nightmare experience with submerged filters. CLOGGING!!! They clog like you wouldn't beleive. Then you have to take them out and clean the whole thing. A real pain. Plus, you can't always tell that there is flow through the filter. I had a Fluval (if i recall correctly) that had an indicator that was supposed to show when it was getting clogged....nice idea, but IT CLOGGED!!! So it indicated nothing!
Save yourself the hassle of submerged and get a HOB Emperor or Penguin.
Old 07-11-2003, 02:42 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

the magnum 350 pro comes with quick disconnects... I wasn't sure that I would need these until the package actully got here they are the best possible thing that I could have gotten with this package. the quick disconnects really make differenceif I had to do this without them I would be ripping my hair out by now.

Tags
filter, filters

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com