New 10g--need more light for planted tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shendeavorelae

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi folks,

Well, I'm quite a newbie. I went out and bought a 10 gallon today with hopes of having a beautiful planted freshwater tank in a few months. However, my kit came with a flourescent hood that fits a single 18" 15 watt bulb--this puts me at a mere 1.5 watt per gallon ratio, and I'd like to double that for future plants.

• Are there hoods out there for a 10g that will fit multiple flourescent bulbs? If so, where could I find one?

If not, what are my options?
    Could I somehow mount 2 light strips over my tank without a cover? If I did that, would the CO2 levels decrease and water evaporation increase?

Also, what type of bulb should I be looking for to optimize plant growth?

Thanks in advance for the helpful advice. :)

its pretty hard for a 10 gallon without goining pretty high in price i think. i have a 20 watt and a 15 watt and im trying them out, but their practically the same.

for the multiple fixture thingy, you need a glass hood and just plop em on top.

I have three of the ten gallon tanks with the standard fifteen watt fluorescent fixtures and all are planted. You don't have to change light fixtures if you don't want to. Some of the plants I have in those tanks include Cryptocoryne wendtii, Dwarf Sags, African Ferns, Cryptocoryne lutea and Java Fern. I use the Coralife Nutri Grow Plant Lamps and they do help. You can see a list of plants organized by the amount of light they require at the following web site.

http://www.plantgeek.net/plantguide_cat.php?category=1

If you purchased the Versa-Hood or Deluxe Full Hood from All-Glass Aquarium then there is a replacement twin-tube strip light that will give you plenty of light. I know that Drs Foster & Smith sells them for about US$40.

Back
Top Bottom