New 29G Tank; Sell me on a filtering system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

n7plus1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm looking at doing a canister setup on this new tank but I'm relatively new to the world of aquariums. A local fish store recommended an EHEIM unit. What should I be looking for? I am unfamiliar with canister systems, as I've been running a simple 10G with an over the edge unit for a few months.

I finally got a tank size I wanted for our little nook in our upper foyer and a stand that'd fit nicely. A hidden canister system in the stand is ideal for what I'm looking for.

Tank will be freshwater for now. Are any interchangeable between fresh and salt? I only ask for "future proofing" the tank.

Eheim are amazing but so expensive. Get a filter that has a gph rate of 4 -10 x your tank. And one that has trays so you can customize and change the media. I run sunsun and they work well

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

An EHIEM 2211 would be fine for your tank. I have one on my 29 and it works great.

Canister Filtration

Hello n...

A filter that hangs on the back of the tank will do the same job as a canister filter, for roughly a third the cost. Hagen has a good product, look at the AC50, about $35.00 However, if you have the money, then the EHEIM Classic would work for your tank. They're around $80.00 plus some shipping. The canister is more work to maintain though.

Your call.

B

a glass top and custom cut rear section for a canister system is too alluring and Id like to keep evaporation to a minimum.

EHEIM looks like a good option, and German made. You say they are expensive...arent the Fluval units pricier?

Actually, Eheim are the best filters out there IMO, but fluval comes in a close second when it comes to canisters... If you are on a budget, you can buy pretty cheap canister filters known to some as sunsun, aquatop etc. the aquatop cf 400 & 500 are great I think they're about 400 gph and about 500 gph (keep in mind that will be reduced once all the media is inside) but they go anywhere from 40-110 bucks in ebay and amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

eheim is good but the only thing I would say bad about it is the difficulties when it comes to priming after regular maintenance

Priming isn't hard, and you don't have to do it every time to clean the pads. Just close the shutoff valves before you turn it off.

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Priming isn't hard, and you don't have to do it every time to clean the pads. Just close the shutoff valves before you turn it off.

which side? the output or the intake valve? I actually have tried both sides without luck

so you can just turn the input and output valves both closed, disconnect the canister and clean it out, no harm, no foul?

Basically. If you keep water in both lines and your canister is full then it will be under normal operation when you turn it back on. Your issue comes if input is closed and the canister pushes all it's water out killing the siphon. Full hoses should fix that issues you will have minimal air to deal with

For me, I close the output first and then the intake, making sure I take it out of the water and turn it upside down first. Then, clean it and turn it on. Open the intake(still upside down with water in the tube) and the output. Tada!

Look at some fluvals and API Filstars

They are very inexpensive for what you get

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Would not recommend fluvals...I have tried 2 on my breeding tanks and both got FRS.

May I recommend a SunSun canister filter? I have one on my 27 gallon cube and have had zero problems. It is a lot less expensive than the competition, has a TON of media storage, and pumps a lot of water. And did I mention, it is 110% silent? I can't hear it unless I put my ear within an inch of the canister. I do that every once in a while because I can't tell whether or not it's on, lol.

I've had it for around 9 months now. I have the HW-304A, the model without the UV. If you get a model with a B at the end, it has UV. I'd recommend not to use it often, because the plastic on the inside is not UV resistant, even on the UV models. But every once in a while is OK.

As far as I know, you can only buy them on ebay.com

If you have any questions, let me know.

I would just get a AC70 or the Fluval C4, I like the Fluval better, idk I just like the easy filter changes of HOB's for small tanks.

For a canister if it isn't a Fluval or Eheim look at the Cobalt aquatics EXT filter, all you do to disconnect it is turn the top and it pops off and the water keeps flowing because the pump is inline and not in the canister.

Back
Top Bottom