New 75 Gallon filtration questions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NjFabianoWNY

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello.
I've had my 46 gallon running for months (see profile for info) and have already fell victim to MTS!

I just bought and set up a brand new 75 gallon. Couple general questions for u experienced guys.
I understand most of my equipment choices depend on what I'm gonna stock the tank with, however as I'm not 100% positive, I'm leaning towards a handful of larger cichlids and heavily plated. So let's assume I'll be on the higher end of the bioload scale...

I bought the HOB marineland Emperor400 bio wheel. (Rated for 400gal/hr). I know a canister would be better, jus couldn't do the extra $100+ at the time, and have zero experience with canisters.

My idea/question is this:
Instead of a second filter (as recommended), I really like the look/idea of a circulator in my tank. Would placing a circulator on the opposite side of my tank, facing the filter, help with filtration by forcing more water through the filter quicker?

If not, and a second filter is inevitable, could I get away with the second filter being much smaller (cheaper) and get a cannister/power filter rated for say 30 gallons or so rather than getting a second 400?

My budget is main concern, but I also don't love tons of clutter/tubes/equipment hanging all over tank.
Obviously fish happiness is priority 1, but you hear me.
I really like the idea of an in tank circulator rather than second filter.

Understand that I am on a limited budget. That being said, I won't let my fish and plants suffer because I don't want to spend money. Unfortunately, I have to stay on the cheaper end as far as equipment goes.

I do tons of research online, and ask tons of questions at my LFS. Sometimes it's hard to sift through all the bs and up-sales.
Any other tips for a new 75 will be appreciated, I'm pretty excited about getting my first bigger tank.

Thanks people..
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419092974.190061.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419093020.043805.jpg

I had bad luck with my aquaclear 70 not fitting over the lip of my 75 when I upgraded. Check out the sunsun canister filters on ebay. Much easier to maintain than a HOB....very quiet and great flow.

What you could do is get another HOB filter for the other side or build a DIY canister out of PVC but that could be complicated. And just to throw it in, canister filters actually save money over time because you are not constantly buying new cartridges. Just an idea to consider

Back
Top Bottom