New and have a question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sometimes even the heater doesn't keep the temp stable. I had to turn it down earlier. I have it set to seventy six but today for some reason it went to eighty six. I had to run the fan and turn the heater way down to get it back to the normal temp. I don't know what the problem was.

Sounds like you have a bad heater there.

It was from the tank that we haven't used in years. I cleaned up the tank and everything with it to save money. We're kinda tight on money right now. I'll just have to watch it more carefully because this is the first time that has happened. I don't know if we can afford a new heater. How much does a standard heater cost these days? Is it in the ten to twenty range or is that asking too much to find a good one?

Depending on the wattage, not that much. I've had bad experiences with really expensive heaters. While the cheap ones sometimes worked out better... Walmart sells them usually, Petco and Petsmart too. You shouldn't have to spend too much. $20 should be enough.

Ok thanks. I'll see what happens with this one first. It may be partially my room causing the problem. It's usually pretty warm. But thanks for giving me "options" now to think about.

If the room is warm then the heater should not switch on. I assume it has a temp setting, of course? The tank would take the temperature of the surrounding air. Was your home 86 degrees? Can I move there? :) I went to the fish store yesterday and my car said it was 2f. :)

My room has a space heater, and our town is just that cold. It was in the negatives a couple days ago. I'm not sure about the heater. It's pretty old. It may just be time to switch to a more modern model.

Yeah. Modern models allow you to select an actual degree you want. Sometimes they can be off but most of the time not by an amount that matters.

Back
Top Bottom