New Aquarium Set-up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

-=Jeff=-

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all..

I currently have a 40gal long stocked with about 9 Cichlids and about 6 other fish

I recently acquired a 30x18x21 Tank(Oceanicl) which I will be setting up to replace the 40gal.

Along with the tank I received a Biowheel 350 ( missing a couple parts) a Light, and some driftwood.

After looking at what I am missing from the Filter, (the BioWheels w/Bearings and the impeller) the cost for the parts is more then a new 350. Quick search shows about $37 needed in parts.

So the great deal I got while still great is not as great (everything was free)

So I need to buy a Filter, my current 40 uses a BioWheel 350 as well. So do I buy another HOB or should I be looking at other types?

An HOB will work, an AC70 would do a great job, a canister is also a good option on that size tank. Depends how much you want to spend.

AC70 is made by? Also what do Canisters sell for? what is suggested

Depending on Cost etc, I would look at a Canister or HOB

I would go for a Fluval 405 canister and skip the the HOB thing entirely.

+1 (y)

If you do go with the Fluval, it's not a bad idea IMO to keep a stock of spare parts for it. I keep a spare motor/impeller, shaft, and gasket. None have failed yet, but since it's something that you normally have to order online, it's good to have them on hand in case something does fail.

Common Parts:

Amazon.com: Fluval 404 Magnetic Impeller - 110V, 2nd Generation: Kitchen & Dining

http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Ceramic-Assembly-Impellers-Straight/dp/B00025YW9I/ref=pd_sim_k_14

Amazon.com: Fluval 3/404-3/405 gasket: Kitchen & Dining

I'm actually looking for a new hosing for the 205. The guy i bought it from had it cut to short.

SO, now I am going to use the 405 on my 55g..

Would a 305 be okay for a 50g? or should I try to get another 405?

Thanks Hukit,

that is what I figured.. Funds being limited since I am now setting up 2 tanks (sort of both at once) Need to find another deal like the last one I got.. LOL

I wish...

I got it for $137 at Aquarium Adventures.

I also got:
40 # of black moon Sand
20# of Cichlid mix Sand

35# of Black gravel
5# of rainbow gravel

The gravel is for my 50g Community, the 55g will get the sand.

I am a little light on the gravel, I need to see where the level is when in the tank. I still need a second heater and will be cleaning up some decorations I am not currently using for the 50g tank (that one is first)

Now I need to build a stand for it

I've got buckets of black gravel, your welcome to pick it up for free if you'd like.

That's a great deal for the filter though, I'm in their discount club since most stuff there is a little pricey.

All their substrate was 50% off.. Thanks for the offer on the gravel, I will let you know if I need any.. Total was $200 for all

the gravel and sand seemed to be cheaper then ordering it online.

and yes, outside of the sale, their stuff did seem pricey

Suggestions on a heater for the 55g? the heater I got with the other 405 will go in the 50g.. so I need a heater for the cichlid tank

the one I got I looked at again (that came in the deal) and it is a Hydor Theo 300w.. States 53-some larger Gal

I think it will be fine for my 50 gal, might be a bit big though

Back
Top Bottom