New Biowheel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blang

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a ten gallon tank with an eclipse filter and light system. The biowheel makes a a loud splashing sound. I called Marineland and after trying several different things, they are sending me a new biowheel.

My tank has been cycled since November. The Customer Rep said that I didn't have to worry about a mini cycle occuring as most of my good bacteria is in the tank and my old biowheel isn't that old.

Is she correct? Do I need to worry. I have some sensitive fish in the tank that I don't want to lose.

One thing you could do when you get the new bio wheel is just float the old one in the tank for awhile until the new has a chance to grow new bacteria

Quick question for Canadians. I understand that WallMart in the US carries WallMart branded Marineland filter media for half the price of the name brand media.
Do Canada's Walmart's do the same? Jeff

Do Canada's Walmart's do the same?
I would have to shop at Walmart 8O 8O 8O
I'm not sure. We have had a biowheel for 3 years and I just rinse the bugger, I have never felt a need to change it.

One day I took the biowheel out and floated it in the tank. The Rep told me that after awhile it should sink. It never did that.

When I take the biowheel out, the tank is very quiet. In my 15 gallon tall, I barely hear the filter. One day I almost had a heart attack as I thought it was off but it was just being quiet. My ten gallon is very noisy and my husband is complaining that he can't sleep.

Menagerie said:
Do Canada's Walmart's do the same?
I would have to shop at Walmart 8O 8O 8O
I'm not sure. We have had a biowheel for 3 years and I just rinse the bugger, I have never felt a need to change it.

I was thinking of the cartridges that have the carbon in them. Jeff

I didn't know that Marineland made a 10 gallon eclipse. Are you sure your 10 is not a 12 gallon? They come in 3, 6, 12 and 37.

Anyways, you should have no problem replacing your biowheel since you have your filter bed, which holds a lot of your beneficial bacteria too.

Unless you are overstocked, I think a quick swap should not cause any problems. But as a percaution, as mentioned above, just let your old one float around in your tank for a couple of days while your new one is running.

a 2 - 3 month old bio-wheel is nothing to worry about ... I had to swap one of mine out after 4 months and it was all good.

I rec'd the new biowheel today and it is larger than the old one. I took the old one out and popped the new one in and there was silence. Ahhhh, I can't wait to go to bed tonight.

The tank is not an eclipse tank, I just bought the top for a plain ten gallon. It was originally suppose to be a QT but the LFS convinced me to just get this setup and keep it running all of the time with a few fish. Of course, I knew deep down that it would just turn into a second tank. :roll:

Back
Top Bottom