New Canister Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Emmamaba

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So i recently got a new canister filter, and a new tank, and I was planning to add the canister filter to my old 66 gallon tank, and move the filter from that one to my new 55 gal tank. How long should i leave both filters running in my tank, before i can set up my new one with the old filter?

Also, because i am transferring the old filter over, along with some water, should i still be doing a full cycle, will my ammonia and nitrates jump, or have i avoided all that by moving a fully cycled filter over. ( i'm pretty sure i'm safe, but i wanted to make sure, and my LFS is kinda a far ways away. )

Welcome to AA :)

You've got the plan down pretty good. I would run the new filter along with the old filter for a minimum of two weeks. A month would be best if you can hold off that long. No need to transfer any water, you'll just be putting dirty water in the new tank if you do. Once you've pulled the old filter off and put it on the new tank, slowly add fish. I wouldn't advise adding all the fish at once because you could experience a mini-cycle. If you start with a few fish, give it a week, then add some more, then finish out a few weeks down the road, you should be fine. Just keep a close eye on your parameters once you switch and be prepared to do water changes if the ammonia starts coming up

Thank you, i thought i was on the right track, and im glad to hear that i actually am. I have only had my 66 up for about 7 months or so, so im still learning!!!

Back
Top Bottom