Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-22-2010, 06:11 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
New Canister Filter

So i recently got a new canister filter, and a new tank, and I was planning to add the canister filter to my old 66 gallon tank, and move the filter from that one to my new 55 gal tank. How long should i leave both filters running in my tank, before i can set up my new one with the old filter?

Also, because i am transferring the old filter over, along with some water, should i still be doing a full cycle, will my ammonia and nitrates jump, or have i avoided all that by moving a fully cycled filter over. ( i'm pretty sure i'm safe, but i wanted to make sure, and my LFS is kinda a far ways away. )

Emmamaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 06:15 PM   #2
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion
Welcome to AA

You've got the plan down pretty good. I would run the new filter along with the old filter for a minimum of two weeks. A month would be best if you can hold off that long. No need to transfer any water, you'll just be putting dirty water in the new tank if you do. Once you've pulled the old filter off and put it on the new tank, slowly add fish. I wouldn't advise adding all the fish at once because you could experience a mini-cycle. If you start with a few fish, give it a week, then add some more, then finish out a few weeks down the road, you should be fine. Just keep a close eye on your parameters once you switch and be prepared to do water changes if the ammonia starts coming up

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 11:23 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Thank you, i thought i was on the right track, and im glad to hear that i actually am. I have only had my 66 up for about 7 months or so, so im still learning!!!
Emmamaba is offline   Reply With Quote

canister, canister filter, cycle, filter, new filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com