Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-31-2011, 09:24 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I have 3 of the AquaTop CF-500UV filters, 2 Rena XP4 filters, 1 Eheim Ecco Pro 2232 (35 gallon) and a Fluval FX5.

The Rena, Eheim and the FX5 are well constructed. The Aquatop has cheap plastic parts that break. The Aquatop does do a great job of filtering for the money.

The Rena is easy to prime. You just need to do it once with a included funnel. The Aquatop is a challenge to prime. The Rena and the Eheim are the easiest to do maintenance on.

None of the other filters are in the same league as the FX5. It does the best filtering.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:45 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkehl View Post
I have 3 of the AquaTop CF-500UV filters, 2 Rena XP4 filters, 1 Eheim Ecco Pro 2232 (35 gallon) and a Fluval FX5.

The Rena, Eheim and the FX5 are well constructed. The Aquatop has cheap plastic parts that break. The Aquatop does do a great job of filtering for the money.

The Rena is easy to prime. You just need to do it once with a included funnel. The Aquatop is a challenge to prime. The Rena and the Eheim are the easiest to do maintenance on.

None of the other filters are in the same league as the FX5. It does the best filtering.
For maintiance you ain't got nothing on a Fluval G3/G6. I have the G3 and mamintiance is a breeze. Also priming with the "big" push button is so easy.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:22 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkehl View Post

A challenge to prime the Aquatop? I sincerely disagree. Fill up some jogs with fresh water, dechlorinate, and fill up the canister to just below lid level. Takes about 2 minutes. Re-attach the hose disconnect, flip the switch, and turn it on. Never need to touch the priming button!
Old 01-02-2012, 08:39 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would choose a 05 or 06 series Fluval and call it a day. They run great, easy to set up and clean, best value for the money IMO.

Tags
canister, canister filter, filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com