New Canister Filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zach_1_6

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am looking to buy a new filter for my 65 gal planted tank. I like the marineland c360 canister filter or the Eheim Ecco Comfort Canister Filter- 2236
the eheim is up to 80 gallons but is more compact and a better fit in my stand then the marineland. but the c360 has more filtration.
which would you recommend, and has anyone used these filters? if so good or bad? thanks :)

Is the Rena self-priming? Does it have shut of valves for easy cleaning? i couldn't see any form the pictures and descriptions I looked up.

Take a look at the Aquatop Cf-500. Cheap, easy to use canisters. Have the quick release latch for easy cleaning, etc.

i do like the Aquatop Cf-500, but there is no place to buy it up here in canada, i cant find it anywhere

Rena is not self priming but does have the shut off ball valves.

How about an electronic filter like the Eheim Pro 3e? It will tell you when you need to clean your filter.

I am a Fluval canister filter junkie. I have had 3 Fluval canister filters and I am currently using a Fluval G3. I love the Fluval G3/G6 series but it is not in the affordable price range. I was previously using the Fluval '05 series and highly recommend them also.

Also priming a Fluval G3 is extremely easy do to the push button instant prime buttom.

Also the Fluval '05 series is easy to prime with the priming handle but I thing the G3 is easier to prime.

Bought the fx5 and LOVE IT!! I was so intimidated by canisters now I'm so happy I switched from HOB's to my fluval fx5.

I saw the aquatop cf-500 on amazon.com for a good price but I don't know if they ship to Canada

I have 3 of the AquaTop CF-500UV filters, 2 Rena XP4 filters, 1 Eheim Ecco Pro 2232 (35 gallon) and a Fluval FX5.

The Rena, Eheim and the FX5 are well constructed. The Aquatop has cheap plastic parts that break. The Aquatop does do a great job of filtering for the money.

The Rena is easy to prime. You just need to do it once with a included funnel. The Aquatop is a challenge to prime. The Rena and the Eheim are the easiest to do maintenance on.

None of the other filters are in the same league as the FX5. It does the best filtering.

I have 3 of the AquaTop CF-500UV filters, 2 Rena XP4 filters, 1 Eheim Ecco Pro 2232 (35 gallon) and a Fluval FX5.

The Rena, Eheim and the FX5 are well constructed. The Aquatop has cheap plastic parts that break. The Aquatop does do a great job of filtering for the money.

The Rena is easy to prime. You just need to do it once with a included funnel. The Aquatop is a challenge to prime. The Rena and the Eheim are the easiest to do maintenance on.

None of the other filters are in the same league as the FX5. It does the best filtering.
For maintiance you ain't got nothing on a Fluval G3/G6. I have the G3 and mamintiance is a breeze. Also priming with the "big" push button is so easy.

A challenge to prime the Aquatop? I sincerely disagree. Fill up some jogs with fresh water, dechlorinate, and fill up the canister to just below lid level. Takes about 2 minutes. Re-attach the hose disconnect, flip the switch, and turn it on. Never need to touch the priming button!

I would choose a 05 or 06 series Fluval and call it a day. They run great, easy to set up and clean, best value for the money IMO.

Back
Top Bottom