New Canister Filter, the good, the bad and the ugly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rforrester

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am in the market for one maybe two new canister filters. I have used Fluval and Marineland in the past without issue and I have heard some good things about Eheim.
I have checked online reviews and all three brands have some great reviews and some horrible reviews. The negative things in the online reviews are leaks. But, I don't trust online reviews. I have purchased items with great reviews and the item was junk, I have also purchased items with horrible reviews and the item is great.
I am looking for a filter which has multiple media baskets (3 or 4). I have looked at Fluval 06 Series, Marineland C Series and Eheim Pro but there may be some great filters I haven't considered. Every time I think I have made up my mind something makes me change it.
Can anyone who owns or has owned any of these or other canister filters share your experiences?

We have always used Fluval we have another brand this time around....

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hi. I have 2 fluval 306's running and one cascade 1000. The cascade also had mixed reviews, but I needed a big one and got it for a steal. I guess I'm partial to the fluvals. The build, the plastic, clips etc all feel solid. I don't get the same 'feel' about the cascade. It is mostly that clear hard plastic and that stuff tells me in the long run , it may / may not fracture as it ages. I do however like that you can see inside/trays to keep track of it.
So, never any issue with the fluvals. One issue so far priming the cascade. But that may have been me/error too. All three are whisper quiet, each has 3 large trays for media. The fluval has double the cell sponge of the cascade. The cascade comes with a nice long spray bar kit, where the fluval does not (but it should!) The cascade does not come with bio, only sponge and charcoal. Fluval has all three. But of course I have added more bio to all three as well as floss.
So, I would buy either one again, but in another post recently, as I stated, I will never pay full price. Always sales and rewards. My LFS is WAY to full retail price on equipment.
I too read all reviews, but I'm very suspect of ones that claim they leak all over. I almost guarantee it's operator error. My first fluval I installed the big o ring wrong. Water everywhere. Completely my fault. Some people rather blame than state they didn't read properly!
Sorry not much experience with Eheim, although I do have their battery gravel filter. I'm not overly impressed with it.

One I haven't seen mentioned here is Rena. I have an XP3 Rena and a Fluval 405. I just got the Fluval and like it a bit more because it's easier to prime, but otherwise the Rena is every bit as good of a filter. Besides priming, I'd actually say that the Rena is better because it holds more media and can handle larger tanks.

The fluval 406 is a great filter with 4 media trays the only thing I changed was the included ribbed tubing. I also own a sunsun HW303b that has 3 large media trays and built in UV sterilizer, this is considered a "cheapy" but for the money I paid I have no complaints.

I own 2 sunsun 302's that I have running on my 75 and they are good filters. They are completely silent and push a good amount of water. They were 50 bucks a piece shipped.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have a ehiem pro 3 600 2075 on my 100 gal cichlids tank and my water has never looked so clear. It has four baskets amd holds more bio media than an fx5. The pro 3 series have sorted any leak issues. I cannot rave enough about this filter. Its is absolutely silent too.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom