NEW - Current Satellite LED+ (6,500K/RGB) - Initial Impressions / Lots of Pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh I love that it doesn't get super hot! Out of curiosity, does it light the -whole- tank up well?

You guys are really selling me on it! So far it's been this vs marineland led planted, but I keep reading bad things about the marineland.

It lights up my tank very well and evenly, in spite of how dark my above phone pic is. My tank is a 29 gal acrylic. I have the light centered over the main opening. It is approximately 15.5 inches over the substrate. The tank is 12" deep by 30" wide and visually I can't detect any dark spots due to uneven lighting from the LEDs. In fact to me, this light looks nearly twice as bright as my single t8 was and it definitely gives better coverage of the tank. I'm sorry I can't give you less subjective info. All I can say is my expectations are exceeded.

I've returned to this thread and have to say again that the hardscape on that rimless really is gorgeous, Brian. I've only recently started to learn about the different styles of aquascaping and really love the iwagumi style... what type of plant(s) were you planning on doing in there with this light? (Sorry if you've answered this elsewhere!)

Thanks but I can't take all the credit.. my GF is the one who scaped that tank. We live together so it's hers but also ours as well, if that makes sense? LOL

Here's that build thread... it's ongoing but feel free to follow along on there :)
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/the-gfs-ada-60-f-shallow-rimless-build-ohko-mountains-256826.html

Holy crap I have been in tunnel vision with the LED, I haven't even took a real look at your tank! That is one sexy friggin tank y'all got going on. Your GF is a master scaper. Will be following it!

Thanks. Appreciate the link to the write-up. My plants are all doing well under the light. I'm very happy with it and I often run one of the dynamic modes for a while in the evening. I also like that you can make it very dim. I dim it for fish introductions. It gives me just a little light for observation, but not so much as to spoof the newbies.

Yeah I agree 100%.. having this level of control is remarkable. I often use the sunset mode for those dim light moments.. the sunset mode gives off a lot of rosette (pinkish/violet) that makes reds and oranges in my fish/plants pop even in dim light.

Another development in the Current world...

There was a recent product announcement at a convention called SuperZoo 2013 by Current. They are releasing timer controllers for their lighting systems. To find out more, read this thread (particularly starting with post #6):

Current USA PRODUCT LAUNCH

For DIY tinkerers and advanced users (beyond my skill set), check out this Guide: Arduino based LED controller for Current Satellite LED+ by Indychus on TPT.

Really love the tanks! and the light has definitely impressed me. I have a question. what is the spread on the light? I have a standard 90g 48"x18'x24"tall was hoping this light would cover the 18" at a height of 24" above the substrate

Another development in the Current world...

There was a recent product announcement at a convention called SuperZoo 2013 by Current. They are releasing timer controllers for their lighting systems. To find out more, read this thread (particularly starting with post #6):

Current USA PRODUCT LAUNCH

For DIY tinkerers and advanced users (beyond my skill set), check out this Guide: Arduino based LED controller for Current Satellite LED+ by Indychus on TPT.

Very cool. I've actually had this concept in mind for over a year but don't have the electronics skill to pull it off myself.

I noted that someone is doing something like this with an Arduino (and the Satellite+) which was my tool of choice also, though I was originally going to design the whole light from the ground up. Life intervened and I haven't gotten very far. I'm glad that Current has. This is exactly what I want to have/do.

My concept probably takes it to its extreme where the lighting controller could actually make daily adjustments and go through a year's cycle of lighting programmed for any spot on earth, though what that would do to managing algae growth and ferts in a planted tank I have no idea. Probably better to have the same length days year round from that perspective.

And I'm still loving my light. My mid to low light plants are thriving, my fish are happy and it was money well spent.

Taking the plunge ordering my light 48-60" LED+ in a few days with a glass top and some new life spectrum comm. Food on sale all three shipped $164.37 Dr Fosters and Smith is awsome

Taking the plunge ordering my light 48-60" LED+ in a few days with a glass top and some new life spectrum comm. Food on sale all three shipped $164.37 Dr Fosters and Smith is awsome

That's where I got mine from and it was a great experience. I hope you enjoy your Satellite+ as much as I do.

Last edited:
Ordered my new sat + it will arrive on 8/1 however I will have to wait as I will be out of town at work till 8/9 or 10 lol

Days off come tomorrow( earlier than expected) can't wait to get my tank in order and put on my new toy! Woop woooop hummp dayee yeah!

Got my light and background on looks AWSOME! Did some rescaping and added two fidler crabs male anb female will get pics up soon.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130809_204800.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130809_204800.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 85
  • ForumRunner_20130809_204839.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130809_204839.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 89
  • ForumRunner_20130809_204929.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130809_204929.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 80
So just a quick gripe. Why are most led moonlights blue? Moonlight isn't blue. So that is the only thing I don't like about the light so I customized my own roughly 6500k moonlight setting so cool awsome light will keep everyone posted on growth.

90gal 48×18×24 high. Sunsun 303b canister, underwater crabitat,
One Current USA Freshwater satellite + 48"-60",
Typical low light plant list anubias swords crypts vals java fern
Fish stock
10 Angels
3 Dwarf flame Gouramis
12 neon tetra
24 Brilliant rasboras
6 Emerald cory's
2 Albino bn pleco's
1 Beta
3 Red claw and 2 fidler crabs

Looks good! Thanks for sharing the pictures too. You know why moonlights are blue? You ever here that expression, "once in a blue moon?" Well, you get it more than once! Haha... j/k Well, isn't that one of the amazing things about this light... you just customized your own white colored moonlight setting!

Dude... that crabitat is pretty neat. I've seen something like that before on YouTube. Does your crab actually use it? Like can it find it when ever it wants to use it in a relatively large tank?

So just a quick gripe. Why are most led moonlights blue? Moonlight isn't blue. So that is the only thing I don't like about the light so I customized my own roughly 6500k moonlight setting so cool awsome light will keep everyone posted on growth.
Glad you like your light. I have no idea why most LED moonlights are blue. It may have something to do with them starting out on saltwater. I also like to have a more whitish dim light at night. That's what's so great about this light. You can customize it to any color you want. I hope your plant growth is as good as mine. My plants have grown like crazy since I got this light.

47265-albums12723-picture60344.jpg

Back
Top Bottom