Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-30-2013, 10:12 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buu View Post
Oh I love that it doesn't get super hot! Out of curiosity, does it light the -whole- tank up well?

You guys are really selling me on it! So far it's been this vs marineland led planted, but I keep reading bad things about the marineland.
It lights up my tank very well and evenly, in spite of how dark my above phone pic is. My tank is a 29 gal acrylic. I have the light centered over the main opening. It is approximately 15.5 inches over the substrate. The tank is 12" deep by 30" wide and visually I can't detect any dark spots due to uneven lighting from the LEDs. In fact to me, this light looks nearly twice as bright as my single t8 was and it definitely gives better coverage of the tank. I'm sorry I can't give you less subjective info. All I can say is my expectations are exceeded.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:56 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I've returned to this thread and have to say again that the hardscape on that rimless really is gorgeous, Brian. I've only recently started to learn about the different styles of aquascaping and really love the iwagumi style... what type of plant(s) were you planning on doing in there with this light? (Sorry if you've answered this elsewhere!)

Old 06-07-2013, 11:14 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Thanks but I can't take all the credit.. my GF is the one who scaped that tank. We live together so it's hers but also ours as well, if that makes sense? LOL

Here's that build thread... it's ongoing but feel free to follow along on there
The GF's ADA 60-F - Shallow Rimless Build - Ohko Mountains
Old 06-08-2013, 01:17 AM   #24
Buu
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Nano12g View Post
Thanks but I can't take all the credit.. my GF is the one who scaped that tank. We live together so it's hers but also ours as well, if that makes sense? LOL

Here's that build thread... it's ongoing but feel free to follow along on there
The GF's ADA 60-F - Shallow Rimless Build - Ohko Mountains
Holy crap I have been in tunnel vision with the LED, I haven't even took a real look at your tank! That is one sexy friggin tank y'all got going on. Your GF is a master scaper. Will be following it!
Old 07-09-2013, 10:52 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Hey guys... here's an interested and very informative write-up by Current regarding the Satellite LED Plus fixture.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...69#post3787369
Old 07-09-2013, 11:40 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks. Appreciate the link to the write-up. My plants are all doing well under the light. I'm very happy with it and I often run one of the dynamic modes for a while in the evening. I also like that you can make it very dim. I dim it for fish introductions. It gives me just a little light for observation, but not so much as to spoof the newbies.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:48 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Yeah I agree 100%.. having this level of control is remarkable. I often use the sunset mode for those dim light moments.. the sunset mode gives off a lot of rosette (pinkish/violet) that makes reds and oranges in my fish/plants pop even in dim light.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:58 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Another development in the Current world...

There was a recent product announcement at a convention called SuperZoo 2013 by Current. They are releasing timer controllers for their lighting systems. To find out more, read this thread (particularly starting with post #6):

Current USA PRODUCT LAUNCH

For DIY tinkerers and advanced users (beyond my skill set), check out this Guide: Arduino based LED controller for Current Satellite LED+ by Indychus on TPT.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:15 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Activist

Really love the tanks! and the light has definitely impressed me. I have a question. what is the spread on the light? I have a standard 90g 48"x18'x24"tall was hoping this light would cover the 18" at a height of 24" above the substrate
Old 07-28-2013, 11:49 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Nano12g View Post
Another development in the Current world...

There was a recent product announcement at a convention called SuperZoo 2013 by Current. They are releasing timer controllers for their lighting systems. To find out more, read this thread (particularly starting with post #6):

Current USA PRODUCT LAUNCH

For DIY tinkerers and advanced users (beyond my skill set), check out this Guide: Arduino based LED controller for Current Satellite LED+ by Indychus on TPT.
Very cool. I've actually had this concept in mind for over a year but don't have the electronics skill to pull it off myself.

I noted that someone is doing something like this with an Arduino (and the Satellite+) which was my tool of choice also, though I was originally going to design the whole light from the ground up. Life intervened and I haven't gotten very far. I'm glad that Current has. This is exactly what I want to have/do.

My concept probably takes it to its extreme where the lighting controller could actually make daily adjustments and go through a year's cycle of lighting programmed for any spot on earth, though what that would do to managing algae growth and ferts in a planted tank I have no idea. Probably better to have the same length days year round from that perspective.

And I'm still loving my light. My mid to low light plants are thriving, my fish are happy and it was money well spent.

Tags
current, led, pics

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com