New filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Makavelli02

Aquarium Advice Activist
Today my local feed store ran a special on filters by Hagen. If you traded in your old filter you got the new one free if you purchase a 10 dollar bottle of nutrafin cycle. Well I traded in 2 old filters a Hagen hush 35 and a topfine 60 and got 2 ac 110. I want to put one on my 30g tank. Right now it has 2 filters a ac 50 and a aqueion 30. I would like to upgrade my fiilter but I don't want to creat a mini cycle. And the media from my old will not fit in the ac 110 with the media that came with it. What do I do? I only have the room for one filter if I use the 110.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

Awesome deal.

Use the media from the old filters and fill the empty space with new media, leave out new media you don't have room for.

Is a ac 110 to much for a 30g? I got excites when I found out I could get any filter for free with my trade in and got the best I could in the 110s. Also my 75g has an emperor 400 and a Fluval 404 would it be to much to add my second ac 110 to it,

Definitely add the other AC110 to the 75.

Try the AC110 on the 30 and see how the flow looks. The flow hitting the glass and decor will help dissipate it.

Ok I will defiantly try it on my 30. I have heard you can never over filter. So you don't think my smaller fish will be sucked in by the 110? And as for my 75 should I remove my power head since I am adding another filter?

I would put some sort of prefilter on the intake. Hagen doesn't make sense, Fluval has the best intake strainer I have seen and the ACs have the worse. Unfortunately I haven't found anything that makes a perfect prefilter for the intake. The best thing is to do something like taking the foam for an AC70 and cut a hole in one end so it slips over the intake of the AC110.

I would replace the Emperor with the AC110. If you can try to make a DIY modification and use one of the biowheels from the emperor on the AC110, I have seen a few people do this and it makes the AC110 even better.

Back
Top Bottom